35

Trigger warning: mentions of guns, drugs, SA|rape, mental illness and child abuse.

"Jones?" Ryan said, his voice laced with confusion as he stood and approached his boss, his eyes swiftly glancing to the two unknown officers in blue. What's going on? "What are you doing here?" He asked, guiding his boss away from Dakota, Charlie and the kids.

"Ah, Ryan." Detective Jones jutted his chin in greeting. "Child abuse case." He sighed sorrowfully. "You're here with the Lombardi's, yes?"

"Yes, sir. I am." Ryan nodded, a cold sweat breaking out on his forehead. Child abuse? Surely he wasn't referring to Leo, was he? No, Ryan internally scolded, surely not.

"I need you to take me to Zachary Lombardi. There's some things I need to discuss with him." Jones said. A command, not a question. His voice left no room for arguments, but that didn't deter Ryan from voicing his own thoughts. He'd have Zac's back, no matter what.

This isn't fair.

"Can't this wait? Leo's just gotten out of surgery. Zac's only just gone to his room." Ryan said, his tone near pleading. Detective Jones had worked on Jack and Lily's case, surely he knew that Zac wasn't the one responsible for any of Leo's injuries. Not that Ryan knew the full extent of those, yet.

"I'm afraid not. You know how this works, Detective Russo." Jones said authoritatively, his beryl gaze narrowing. "Now," he rubbed his thumb across his jaw, "take me to your friend."

"Yes, of course, sir." Ryan's shoulders deflated in defeat. He glanced behind him, seeing Carter, Jack and Alex entering the waiting room. All three of them paling at the sight of the officers, each looking oddly suspicious, guilty even. With a frown, he turned back to his boss and asked, "Could you give me a sec? I just need to tell the others where I'm going."

Clicking his tongue, the senior detective nodded. Glancing at his wrist watch, he tapped the glass facing with his pointer finger, "you have two minutes."

With an awkward smile, Ryan quickly dismissed himself, his feet taking elongated steps as he hurried towards the three teenage boys. Stopping mere inches from them, his eyes darted to Jack first. "Where have you been?" Ryan asked with a hint of worry, "You were gone for almost an hour. And borrowing Elliot's car? Seriously Jack, you don't even have a licence."

And your guns not in your holster... Jack bravely thought, feeling slightly amused with Ryan's scolding.

Carter rolled his eyes, of course Elliot hadn't managed to keep this information to himself. The boy was a walking, talking gossip. "He's fine, Ry. Everything's fine. Leave it." The nineteen year old waved him off.

Ryan turned to Carter, raising his hands in a half exasperated manner. "Leave it?" He mocked, raising both brows and moving his hands to his hips. "He broke the law, Car. Do you even understand how dangerous that is? What if you got in an accident?" He asked the blonde, who shrunk under his piercing gaze.

"We can't live our lives on a what if, now, can we?" Carter countered with a smirk, attempting to take Ryan's glare from Jack. His brother had been through enough today without Ryan's high and mighty 'I'm a detective' act. "Look, Ry. Jack knows it was wrong, don't you fratello?"

"Yeah... wrong." Jack mumbled, scratching the back of his neck nervously. "Why are the police here?" He nodded towards the two officers and Jones. Memories of the past haunting his mind at the sight of the senior detective. He never thought he'd have to see the man again, let alone be standing mere inches from him.

"Don't worry about it." Ryan attempted to wave it off, hoping the anxiety he felt hadn't shone through in his voice. It had, clearly. "What happened to your face, and your hand?" He diverted the conversation to Carter, seeing the crimson stains on his knuckles, as well as his slightly swollen nose. "In fact, never mind. I don't even want to know. I'm going to talk to Zac. Can you three stay out of trouble whilst I do that?"