Chapter Four: Happy Halloween

The school hallways were littered with toilet paper as students ran around, excited for Halloween.

"Boo!" Ayla yelled, holding a mask up to her face as she scared Kira who had been standing at her locker.

The girl jumped in fright, clutching her chest. "You scared me half to death."

"Sorry," Ayla laughed, sticking the mask into her bag.

Halloween was Ayla's favorite holiday, it was like Christmas to her. She and her mother shared the same love for all things spooky and haunted. Every year after trick-or-treating the two would crawl up on the couch and watch scary movies together.

Jordan and their father were the complete opposite, they hated all of it. Jordan specifically, hated being scared by his little sister, and the pranks his mother and her would pull on him and his father.

"How are you? I heard about what happened," Kira asked her friend as she shut her locker, referring to the day before when a coyote almost attacked her.

Ayla shrugged, "I'm fine, the coyote didn't get me. So I was thinking. After school, we sit at home all night and watch every classic horror movie. I got Halloween, Scream, Nightmare on Elm Street, there isn't one horror movie that I don't own."

The dark-haired girl let out a sigh. "I don't know Ayla."

The redhead's face dropped in sadness. "What why?"

"I'm not really feeling the Halloween spirit this year."

Ayla shook her head. "Nope, that is just unacceptable. I will pull out the 'I almost died by coyote' card." Again Kira shrugged. "Are you still upset over Scott?" She asked before realizing the tallboy was standing before them. Ayla shut her eyes in defeat, knowing that she had just embarrassed her new friend. "I'm sorry," she mouthed to Kira before the girl walked off, leaving Ayla and Scott alone.

"Hey," Scott gave Ayla a smile.

"Uh, hi."

"I just wanted to see how you are after what happened the other day."

Ayla nodded. "Yeah, I uh, I'm good, not the first time I was attacked by a wild animal."

Scott raised his brows at the girl, surprised. "Oh, really?"

Ayla was shocked that he had taken her sarcasm literally. "I, uh, no that was a joke."

"Oh...okay." Scott nodded, gripping the straps of his backpack, rocking back and forth on the heels of his feet. It was like he wanted to ask her something but couldn't bring himself to.

Crossing her arms over her chest, Ayla asked. "Is that all...or?"

"You're friend...Kira. Is she single by any chance?"

Instantly, the girl's face lit up with excitement for a quick moment before bringing herself back to reality. "You know she totally is. Why? Do you know someone who might want to ask her out?"

"Someone?"

"Perhaps maybe Stiles, or your other friend?"

"Isaac?"

Isaac, so that's what freezer boy's name is. "Yeah, or maybe you wanted to ask her out?"

"Me?"

Ayla rolled her eyes at the boy. Kinda annoyed that he was beating around the bush. Ayla hated when people weren't direct with their feelings. She knows first hand that life is way too short to be holding back.

"How can a boy be as attractive as you but also be so dense? Look, Clarke Kent, if you like her then ask her out, if you don't then let her down gently."