Chapter Twenty-Three: Death of Scott McCall

The door to the McCall home opened to reveal Ayla Parrish waiting on the front steps. "Hey," Scott greeted looking down at the girl.

"Sorry, I'm late, I'm grounded so it was hard to get out of the house," she explained. Ayla's punishment for sneaking Stiles into the house was one week of being grounded, but Jordan had made an exception just this once because they were trying to find the person behind the Deadpool.

"No problem, come in," he opened the door to let the girl pass through.

The two hadn't talked since she jumped into his body and it was a little awkward. No one really knows how to react after you practically possess a friend.

Ayla and Stiles hadn't talked either. She wanted to reach out to him but couldn't bring herself to and Stiles just wanted to give her space to figure out her feelings.

Neither had been sleeping well as they had gotten used to being next to each other at night.

Ayla was feeling a large amount of guilt after kissing Stiles. Like she wasn't completely over Kyler so being with Stiles felt like she was cheating in some way, despite him being dead for six months. But Ayla couldn't argue that Stiles just felt right to her.

"Hey." Kira gave the girl a smile which she returned. Kira, Stiles, and Liam were already gathered at the table when Ayla came over. "Is three enough?" Kira asked, referring to the three laptops on the table.

"Depends on how many cameras they have. But I think so," Stiles said, glancing over at Ayla any chance he got. He hated how she wouldn't look at him.

"Are we really doing this?" Liam asked, nervously bouncing in his place

Ayla agreed. "Yeah, this really seems like a bad idea."

"We're doing it. Tonight," Scott said pointedly.

"But isn't it kind of dangerous?"

Stiles nodded. "It's incredibly dangerous. And borderline idiotic."

"Have you guys done something like this before?" Liam was asking all the right questions but Stiles being who he was, didn't answer them quite well.

"Something dangerous? Or something idiotic?"

"I think it's a yes to both," Ayla answered the younger boy, putting her hand on his shoulder to try and comfort him.

"You don't have to be part of it if you don't want to," Scott assured the boy. He was always good about making sure everyone was comfortable and felt safe when they had these crazy plans.

"I'm not scared." Ayla knew Liam was lying. She met Scotts eyes and shook her head slightly to confirm to him that he wasn't telling the truth.

"Then you're borderline idiotic," Stiles jokes, before turning back to his best friend. "If we do this, we don't know what's coming for us. You know that, right?"

"How do we even know something's definitely coming?" Kira asked, nervous as well.

"Because the tape from Garrett's bag said visual confirmation was required," Scott explained.

"Simon said the same thing," Stiles remembered, "He couldn't get paid by The Benefactor until he had proof that you guys were dead."

"So the idea is-" the McCall boy began, "-what if you kill someone on the dead pool, but you can't send the proof?"

"You don't get paid," Ayla finished. "But how does that get us any closer to The Benefactor?"

"He still needs to know if the target is really dead. Especially if it's someone high on the list. So, if he wants visual confirmation..."