Twenty-Nine: Smoke and Mirrors

The first lacrosse game of the season had Ayla beyond excited. Ready to be the supportive girlfriend with the number 24 was written on her right cheek in red to match the school colors and red dots across her face in the same primary way most teenage girls would do their face paint.

A year ago Ayla would have never even thought of doing this as neither she nor Kyler was on any sports teams or a part of anything really, so there wasn't anything to be supportive of. But tonight she was ready. Ready to sit in the stands and cheer on her boyfriend and two of her other closest friends.

Only Scott and Kira were running late and no one had heard from either of them in a while. It was getting to the point that they were starting to worry.

The bleachers were packed with students and parents hyped for the game. The Sheriff and Malia were next to Ayla also rotting for Beacon Hills High as well.

"Stiles is starting?" Ayla asked, watching her boyfriend take the field. She had heard he wasn't the best player but he had been practicing so Ayla had hope for him.

"I guess so," Stilinski nodded, just as shocked as Ayla.

With the blow of a whistle the game began.

Ayla wasn't really sure how lacrosse worked, but she cheered whenever the crowd did and kept a close eye on Stiles. As much as he claimed to be practicing more and getting better, it didn't seem to be helping Stiles much on the field as he was tackled multiple times and continued to fall over in the first 10 minutes of the game. One nasty hit in particular made the entire crowd cringe.

"Where is Scott?" The sheriff asked the girl after noticing the clear lack of talent in the field.

Ayla shrugged, pulling out her phone to check the time. "He said he was going to be late but..." she paused. Her mind went blank as the loud crowd began to fade away, replaced with a ring to her ears. To others, it looked as though she was staring off into space when in reality Ayla was getting a feeling that something wasn't right. Something was definitely happening to Scott and Kira, but she wasn't sure what.

"Ayla? Is everything okay?" Malia asked the girl, earning a concerned look from the sheriff as well. But Ayla was frozen. Her vision blurred as she tried to focus on the feeling she had of Scott and Kira, trying to figure where they were.

When halftime came around, Beacon Hills was down by several points and Malia and Stilinski were growing more worried about the young who continued to stare off into space.

"What's going on with her?" Stilinski asked the other girl next to her.

Malia shook her head, "I think she's feeling something. I really don't know."

From the bench, Stiles looked over to his girlfriend with a smile, expecting her to be watching. Quickly he turned worried at the blank stare on her face. He rushed over and gently held her face, trying to get Ayla's eyes to focus on him, finally pulling her out of her trance. "There's something wrong with Scott and Kira isn't there?" he asked. Ayla nodded. "Okay, come on." He held the girl's hands and pulled her away from the crowd.

"Want me to stay here if he shows up?" Malia asked. Stiles agreed and pulled Ayla in the direction behind the bleachers with the Sheriff following.

"Okay, Ayla, do you know where they are?" Stiles asked, turning to her.

She shook her head. "I've been trying but I can't get a feeling of where they are."

The sheriff shot looks between the two, very confused.

"Can you do your body jumping thing? Maybe that could work?"

The sheriff took a step back, his brows raised, "Body...jumping what?"