Chapter Fifty-Eight: Sweet Little Pill

Floating is how Ayla would describe it. Like she had been floating through life for the past three days. With no feelings of anxiety or guilt to disrupt her euphoric outlook on life.

Sleep came so much easier. As soon as Ayla hit her pillow she was taken by the darkness that sleep provided. No nightmares ever came. She hadn't woken up in a cold sweat with dread for what the new day brought.

Waking up, however, was harder than Ayla would have liked. She found herself more groggy and annoyed in the morning but she would simply take another pill and within minutes her entire mood was lifted.

Every four to six hours, Ayla would take another small white pill and continue to float through the day. Ignoring every sour feeling in her mind.

"Working late, here's $20 for dinner
see you in the morning
-Jordan"

Another note left under a magnet on the kitchen fridge. This had been the most prominent form of communication between the siblings for the last few days. Jordan was always working late now, trying to save money for a reason Ayla didn't really know.

What she did know was he was never around anymore. Never there to ask her about her day or how her homework was going. Ayla couldn't remember the last time they even ate a meal together.

With a sigh, Ayla took the $20 and shoved it into her back pocket before grabbing a water bottle and heading out to make her walk to school.

Driving was not an option. She may be high but after being in a car crash Ayla had the sense not to drive under the influence. The walk wasn't too long so she didn't mind much.

Ayla enjoyed the peace of the walk. Loved the breeze on her face and music played through her headphones. It was a very calming routine Ayla had developed these past few days. However, on this day she was interrupted by a dirt bike pulling up next to her, the engine drowning out Ayla's Lana Del Rey album.

"Hey." Scott smiled, taking off his helmet. "What are you doing?"

"Just walking to school," Ayla answered, pulling out one of her headphones.

He tilted his head slightly to the side. "Why are you walking? Where's your car?"

"I decided to take a stance on Global Warming. Engine exhaust really contributes to the death of our planet. Did you know that?"

Scott's eyes squinted in confusion at her words. "Right. Uh...I guess I didn't. I'm on my way to class though, why don't I give you a ride? Carpooling is better for the environment isn't it?"

Ayla shrugged. "I'm not sure. You know how I feel about motorbikes." There was a reason why Ayla had never been on the back of Scott's bike and that was because she was terrified of it. Of him crashing and her being thrown off it and dying. It was a gruesome scene that always played in her head whenever Scott tried to get her on the back of his bike.

"I'm not gonna let you get hurt Ayla." He couldn't help but chuckle as he saw her thinking about it. They had this debate many times in the past year. Whether or not it was even safe for Scott to be driving that thing in the first place.

But with the euphoric feeling flowing through her veins, Ayla felt almost no fear so she took the helmet from Scott's outstretched hand and climbed onto the back of his bike, honesty surprising him.

"Hold on tight."

Ayla did as told and wrapped her arms around the boy's waist. Holding on as tightly as she could.

Scott started out slow, as to not frighten the girl further but eventually as he felt her begin to relax against his back, he sped up.

The wind felt amazing blowing in Ayla's face. Her heart practically skipped a beat whenever he turned a corner and it raced almost as fast as Scott was driving. Every touch to her skin felt almost amplified and the thrill inside her body was so addicting Ayla. What had I been so afraid of before? Ayla wondered to herself.