Chapter Fifty-Nine: Canaan

Ayla jolted awake to the sound of the passenger side door squeaking open. The night had been long and she didn't exactly remember when she had fallen asleep in the jeep.

"You really spent all night out here?" Jordan questioned, climbing into the seat beside her.

Rubbing the exhaustion from her eyes, Ayla asked him, "What are you doing here?"

"Scott stopped by this morning on his way to school." Letting out a groan Ayla rolled her eyes. "He's worried about you, Lollie."

It had been a while since she heard that name.

Lollie.

Come to think of it, she hadn't spoken to her brother much face-to-face since before the party the other night. Even after that, they hadn't seen much of each other. Both had been so busy with their own activities and Jordan vowed to give Ayla space since she was 18 now.

"Why don't you tell me what's been going on?" Ayla shook her head, staring out the window. "Scott mentioned something about you drinking in school?"

Whipping her head toward her brother, Ayla instantly denied it. "He's lying."

"Why would Scott come all the way to our apartment just to lie about you drinking again? Come on Lollie, just tell me what's going on, maybe I can help?"

She couldn't help but chuckle. Help? How could Jordan help? He can't stop a Ghost Rider from taking me. He couldn't turn back time and help me protect the kids or stop the Ghost Riders from taking Stiles. He wasn't home when I took a pill for the first time. There was nothing he could do to help me.

"I know about Stiles."

Sitting up straighter Ayla asked, "Y-you do? You remember him?"

"No...but Scott told me he's real and that the Ghost Riders took him. He said once you get him back I'll remember everything." Any hope the girl had flew away. "I believe you guys. I do."

Looking straight ahead, Ayla let out a heavy breath. "Did Scott also tell you I saw a Ghost Rider? Did he tell you the legend says if you see one, you're next to get taken?"

"That's not gonna happen-"

"You don't know that." Her voice broke as Ayla's body began to shake. Still she kept her eyes straight ahead, refusing to meet her brothers. It had been hours since the last time she had a pill and Ayla's body itched to have one, to feel numb to it all again. "No one knows that. I could be gone tomorrow and you wouldn't even remember me."

"Yes I would-"

"No Jordan." Closing her eyes Ayla took a shaky breath. "No you wouldn't. I said the same thing to Stiles and still...I still forgot him. The one person...the only person in the world who I love more than anything. I told him I would remember and I forgot. I forgot him."

Jordan reached out and grabbed his sister's hand. "That's not your fault. You remember him now though, right?" Ayla nodded. "Is this why you've been drinking again?"

"I haven't been drinking, I promise." It wasn't a lie. She hadn't been drinking the past few days. It was actually much worse but she wasn't going to tell her brother that. "I've just been scared and sad and guilty and it's put me in a bit of a bad mood. I promise JP, I haven't been drinking. I've grown out of all that."

"Okay, okay I believe you." He didn't but he wasn't going to pry. "If you say you haven't been drinking then you haven't been drinking. But just know that... I do love you kid, and I'm here if you need to talk."

"Thanks, JP." Ayla gave a fake smile.

"I know I've been working a lot of odd hours right now but how about tomorrow night, we make tacos and hang out, just the two of us. You did get taco stuff when you went to the store right?"