Chapter Forty-One: Betrayed

The reflection staring back at her was one that Ayla didn't recognize anymore. The person she thought she was, was not the same one looking back at her, and that terrified Ayla. Everything she had gone through since arriving at Beacon Hills had changed her. Perhaps not for the better as everyone hoped.

Wiping away her tears in the animal clinic bathroom, Ayla pulled back her wet hair and got herself together before exiting. Trying to keep all her thoughts on Hayden who had gotten worse in the night. Growing much weaker.

With Scott's refusal to bite the girl to turn her into a real werewolf, Liam was full of rage and fear. Terrified of losing Hayden, Liam would do anything to save her.

Ayla watched Melissa begin her work on the dying girl.

"What's that?" Liam asked as Melissa pulled out a bag of liquid from a cooler.

"It's called chelation therapy. It removes heavy metals from the blood. But, the problem is, it can injure the kidneys and Hayden only has one to begin with, so..." Melissa explained, setting it up like an IV. Hayden groaned in pain as the needle stuck into her arm.

"Hey, you're hurting her!" Liam snapped, grabbing the nurse's arm with more force than he realized.

"And you're hurting me."

Upon realizing what he had done, Liam let go of her and apologized quickly.

"Hey, guys...Remember, we're here to save a life. Not kill each other," Theo pointed out.

"It's the full moon," Scott began, "We can feel it even during the day. And it's a Supermoon."

"What is that supposed to make you guys, like super strong? Super aggressive?" Ayla asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Both," The werewolves confirmed.

-

Ayla twisted uncomfortably in the chair she had been perched in all night. Given up on sleeping hours ago and watched the sun ride through the glass doors. "Maybe we should talk?" Theo whispered, taking a seat next to Ayla.

"Maybe later?" Ayla asked, rubbing her hands together nervously. After what had happened the night before with Theo, Ayla had a dark feeling about him that just wasn't sitting right with her.

Scott looked between the two, wondering what they had been referring to. Leaning back in his seat, Theo let out a sigh before speaking again. "You know we're going to need help with him." Alluding to Liam who hadn't left Hayden's side all night.

"He'll be alright." Scott glanced towards the boy. Ayla wasn't sure if he was trying to convince them or himself.

"He's 16 and in love." Theo began, "First love. You remember what that's like?

Rubbing his hands together, Scott nodded. "Yeah, trust me, I remember."

Ayla lowered her head. All the memories of Allison flooding her mind. She had only known the girl for a short amount of time but the pain of her death was still there as fresh as the day it happened. The memory of the girl made Scott's palms begin to sweat and his heart rate increased.

A first love. Like Scott, Ayla knew all about first loves and what it was like to watch them die right in front of you. Kyler Adams had been her first love and he was gone, forever. If there was one thing in the world she would change, it would be his death.

Then again, had he not died, there was a huge chance that Ayla would have never gone to Beacon Hills and she would have never met the pack...never met Stiles and she would be dealing with her powers all on her own.