Chapter Thirty-Three: Oh My God

Ayla's hands were shaking as she tried to stay focused, but the noise of her friends was drowned out by a cold feeling that spread throughout her body.

"Okay. Hands-on the wheel, at 10 and 2," Kira instructed Malia from the back seat. The three girls were trying to help Malia get over her fear of driving.

"Actually," Lydia piped up, "the recommended positions are now 9 and 3. At 10 and 2, a deployed airbag could break your thumbs."

Malia turned to the strawberry blonde in the passenger seat. "Mine would heal."

"Save your strength. And try not to destroy your beautiful new car. 9:00 and 3:00," Lydia helped adjust the girl's hands to the correct position.

After starting the car, Malia lifted her foot off the break. "All right. Just ease into it. Good, good, okay. There you go," Kira encouraged.

"Please shut up," Malia shot at Kira who instantly nodded her head and closed her mouth.

"No problem. Shutting up."

Ayla's whole body felt cold, and to her, the entire car reeked of wet grass. "Malia your anxiety smells disgusting." She said it without thinking trying to lighten the mood but it definitely didn't help and the girl began drifting to the other side of the street.

"You can smell anxiety?" Kira asked.

"Kinda, it comes with the cold body chills." Ayla turned to watch where Malia was driving, noticing that she was drifting off the road. "Uh...other way. Other way. Uh, other way. Malia!" Ayla yelled once the car was completely off the road, now on a patch of grass. It was almost as if the girl was trying to hit something. "We are now off the road, this is not the road." Ayla tried to be gentle with how she spoke because she understood the fear of driving. It took her a while before she even got in another car after her accident.

"What is that? What is beeping?" Malia asked as the car began screaming at her as she drove closer and closer to a tree.

"The car's telling you not to run into the tree. Turn the wheel. Malia!" Lydia yelled. Malia was able to barely miss the tree but was able to make it back onto the road before continuously turning the wheel making it so the car only spun in circles.

What followed was Malia's complete inability to drive and Ayla doing her best to not throw up from being car sick and the anxiety building in her chest from her fear that they were going to crash.

Finally, after a couple more minutes of chaos, Malia got the hang of going straight. Listening to Lydia's instructions.

"Anybody want to tell me where we're going?" Malia asked.

Lydia turned to the two girls in the back with a nervous look. "The school. We can finish with parking practice in the lot."

"Lydia, we're actually heading downtown," Kira pointed out.

"What?"

"If we want to go to the school we should do a U-turn. Shouldn't we?"

A blank expression fell over Lydia's face. The same way it does when she starts to feel something that has to do with death. "No. Keep going."

"You sure?" asked Malia.

Lydia nodded, her voice monotone. "Yes. We're almost there." What the girls found was a broken-down prisoner transport van that had crashed. The backdoor was ripped open and there was no sign of any prisoner so that definitely wasn't a good thing, and there was blood, lots and lots of blood. "Call 911."

Ayla was frozen as her eyes trained on the body laying in a pool of crimson liquid. Slowly getting out of the car, it took everything in her not to throw up.