Chapter Fifty-Two: Happy Birthday

Her entire body ached as Ayla entered her dark bedroom. Instantly dropping her bag on the ground and removing her daggers. Rubbing her face, she sighed as the memories of everything that happened just an hour ago played in her mind on repeat.

Feeling beyond drained, both physically and emotionally. Watching an ex-boyfriend come back to life and then disappear again as well as saying goodbye to a best friend will do that to a person.

The moon was shining bright in the sky, with barely any signs of morning. Ayla checked the time again and let out a dramatic sigh, flopping down on her bed face first. She didn't bother to change her clothes or even shower. All Ayla wanted was sleep.

"Happy birthday to me," she whispered to herself before closing her eyes.

Her 18th birthday was something that was supposed to be celebrated, after all, she wasn't a kid anymore but all Ayla wanted to do at that moment was spend her time in her bed, sleeping after the night she just had. Not even caring that there were no happy birthday texts from her friends or a surprise waiting for her at home from her brother. All Ayla wanted was to be consumed by the peaceful darkness that sleep would bring.

Just as she was teetering on the edge of sleep, a knock on her window caused Ayla to go alert. Groaning, she pulled herself up from the comfort of her bed and went to the window, not surprised to see Stiles standing on the opposite side. He was the only person who would ever come through her window.

"Hey?" she asked, allowing the boy to climb into her bedroom.

Nervously, Stiles rubbed his hands together as he stood before the girl. "I know it's late, but...I just wanted to check in and see how everything is going. Scott told me about Kyler and Kira."

Ayla gave him a small smile, sitting on the edge of her bed. "I don't think we've seen the last of them just yet." Stiles nodded, fidgeting with his hands again. It was a nervous habit that Ayla had picked up on. "Is everything okay?" she asked, raising a brow.

"Oh uh yeah I just uh...I wanted to give this to you." From his back pocket, Stiles pulls out a small box wrapped terribly in pink paper. "Happy birthday."

With wide eyes, Ayla instantly stood up from her bed and walked over to him. "You remembered?" she asked, taking the box from his hands.

Stiles nodded. "Of course, I remembered. You've been talking about your 18th birthday for months." He smiled softly.

Inside the package was a gold necklace with the number two repeated three times.

222.

"It's an angel number. I thought it was fitting for you, you know...given everything." Ayla couldn't help but smile. "The girl at the store told me that the number is supposed to be a reminder to stay focused on what you want in life and to trust that everything is working out according to the 'divine will for the highest and greatest good'." He shrugged, "I think it just means that remember everything happens for a reason."

"Thank you, Stiles. I love it." Ayla removed it from the box and held the necklace up, letting it shine in the light. It was one of the nicest things the girl had ever received and she truly did love it. The gift made her stomach flutter with butterflies.

Without saying a thing, without speaking the words aloud, the two of them knew that this necklace tied them to each other. That it was an act of love that bonded them, rekindling their connection. Warmth filled inside Ayla as their connection grew.

"Here let me help." Nodding, Ayla allowed Stiles to take the necklace as she turned her back to him, holding her hair out of the way.

Slowly, Stiles brought the gold chain around her neck. His fingers gently brushing against her, sending a shiver up Ayla's spine. He was so close that Ayla could feel his soft breath on her skin.