Chapter Forty-Seven: Saving Lydia

The darkness caused Ayla's heart rate to increase as she nervously rubbed her hands against her jeans. That, mixed with the constant bumping of the van and the small space she was confined in.

As to not make any noise, when the van rolled to a stop, Ayla covered her mouth. But it didn't help much with her heavy breathing.

Many times Ayla had imagined herself in this bag. Only in those thoughts, she wasn't breathing at all.

"Just try to relax, Ayla." Kyler's voice was quiet and soothing as he comforted her from outside the body bag. "We're almost there. Just a couple more minutes."

The van had been stopped for longer than they anticipated making Ayla more nervous.

"I'll need to log the names off the toe tags." A voice she didn't recognize said after the back door to the van was opened.

"There's significant decomp." Jordan tried to explain. "They were found in the county tunnels way past rigor." The guard wasn't having it.

"Open them up, please." Reluctantly, Jordan did as told and opened their decoy bag with an actual dead body in it. The smell was so bad that the guard backed away gagging. When Jordan went to open the next one, this time Ayla's bag, the guard instantly shook his head. "No, no. Go, just go."

Success.

They made it through the first gate to Echien house.

The four teens were placed on tables in the morgue and once the coast was clear, Kyler let Ayla know. She was the first to break out of the body bag, gasping for air. The others quickly followed her. Each pulled themselves from the bag and took deep breaths.

"Oh, my God. Never again!" Stiles said with a dramatic gasp.

Scott nodded in agreement, looking down at his phone. 7:45 pm. "Fifteen minutes. Starting now."

The four quickly got out of the body bags and put their plan into action.

"Go look after the girls and let us know if anything happens," Ayla whispered to Kyler.

Kyler nodded and disappeared in seconds. Kira and Malia were in the electrical room, Kira was tasked with drawing enough power from the grid to cause a brownout and Malia was there as backup in case anything went wrong.

"You okay?" Scott asked. Ayla nodded and the four made their way to the closed-off unit in the basement.

Stiles was in the front leading the group toward the place Lydia was being held. Ayla's right hand gripped the dagger that was hidden up her sleeve, preparing for anything. As they rounded a corner, Stiles quickly put his arms out to stop them. Looking past the boy there were two nurses standing in front of the door that led to the closed-off unit.

"What are they doing there?" Scott asked.

Stiles shook his head. "I don't know. Their rounds should've ended five minutes ago."

"I can take them." The older three all turned to Liam with shocked faces.

"No one's taking anyone," Scott scolded, checking the time on his phone. "Three minutes."

"I'll just knock them out and hide the bodies," Liam continued.

Suddenly, there was a bang from the wall in front of them. A young boy not much older than the others was trapped behind a glass wall. "Did you take the doctor?" His voice was shaky as tears began to well in his eyes.

"What?" Liam asked, but this only encouraged the boy to make more noise.

"Did you take the doctor?" he asked again. "I haven't had my medication. I need ten milligrams at 8 am, 15 milligrams at 1 pm, and no more than 20 at dinner."