Chapter Eight: Foxfire

The hospital waiting room quickly became crowded as there was a group just waiting for any sort of update about Stiles. Ayla practically jumped from her seat when she saw the sheriff walking toward them.

"He's sleeping now. And he's just fine. He doesn't remember much. It's a bit like a dream to him," he explained to the group before turning to agent McCall. "Thank you."

"It was that repellent we sprayed in the coyote den to keep other animals out. I couldn't go near it without my eyes watering. It's just a good thing he mentioned it over the phone," agent McCall explained to the sheriff.

"No, it was more than that," Stilinski tried to give the man more credit. "Thank you."

"It was a lucky connection."

"McCall, can you shut up please, and accept my sincerest gratitude."

Ayla cringed at the two men's conversation.

"Accepted."

The two shook hands and Melissa nodded, putting her hand on her son's back. "All right, you two. You've got school in less than six hours. Go home. Go to sleep."

Scott agreed and despite Ayla's need to see for herself that Stiles was okay, she followed Scott out of the hospital.

"Are you okay getting home by yourself?" he asked the girl.

Ayla nodded, "Yeah, thank you, Scott." He gave her a smile and walked to his bike, leaving the girl alone. Looking over her shoulder to the doors to Beacon Hills Hospital, all she wanted was to walk back in there and wait by Stiles' side until he woke up.

The last time she left a boy's side, he died and that thought is what kept nagging in the back of Ayla's mind.

That day at school, Ayla felt as though she just floated through the day. She didn't retain any of the information that was being taught to her. She just had this gut-retching feeling in her stomach, like something bad was going to happen but there was nothing she could do to stop it. It felt like a dark cloud looming above her, about to start pouring down rain any second.

At the end of the day, Ayla found Scott at his locker with Lydia next to him. "Hey, do you have any updates on Stiles?" she asked, walking up to the boy.

"They're doing tests on Stiles all afternoon. I was going to go over at around 6:00 to visit. Do you guys want to come with me?" Scott asked the two girls.

"Yes," Ayla said instantly but Lydia shrugged.

"I should probably just go home." With the sound of a locker shutting, Lydia's whole body jumped.

"Woah, are you okay?" Ayla asked the girl.

"Yeah," Lydia nodded, before slowly walking away from the two, "I'll text you later."

'Well, that was weird,' Ayla thought to herself.

"So what are they testing Stiles for?" Ayla asked as she and Scott made their way out to the parking lot.

"Uh, they think he might have some form of dementia that affects young kids."

"Dementia?" Ayla asked, shocked.

Scott nodded. "It's what his mom passed away from. They think he might have the same condition."

"And what if he does?" Ayla's heart rate began to increase, but something in her told her that Stiles didn't have this disease.

The McCall boy let out a sigh. "If he does have it then...I'll do what I have to."

Ayla stared at the boy for a moment. "...what the hell does that mean?"