Chapter Seven: The Worst Night of Her Life

Still half asleep and groggy, Ayla rolled over and picked up her ringing cell phone. Confused, Ayla sat up and stared at Stiles' contact illuminating her screen. Why was he calling her in the middle of the night?

"Stiles?" Ayla questioned as she answered the phone, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. The other end of the call was silent. "Stiles are you there?"

There was heavy breathing and static on the other line before the girl heard a muffled voice, but she couldn't quite make out what was being said.

Figuring it was a butt dial, Ayla hung up the phone and instantly tried going back to sleep until her phone rang again. This time when Ayla answered it, she could hear Stiles' voice nervously calling out for help.

"Stiles are you okay? What's going on?" The girl asked but the line went dead before he could respond.

Ayla tried calling him back three times but the line was busy. Her heart began to beat in her chest as she continued to call. With no answer, Ayla resorted to her next option and dialed the number Scott had given her when she was trying to set him up with Kira.

"Ayla?" he asked, picking up the phone, his voice was already in a panic.

"Scott, Scott I just got a call from Stiles and-"

"What did he say?"

"He didn't say anything, the line went dead but I heard him asking for help. It's kinda freaking me out, I was wondering if you could maybe call him."

There was more shuffling on the other end before Scott spoke again. "He already called me. He said he was lost and he didn't know where he was. He was crying and I just-he asked me to find him."

"Can you? Like, trace his scent or something?" Ayla still wasn't sure how all the werewolf stuff worked.

"I'm gonna try, look, meet me at Stiles' house, Isaac and I are gonna start there first."

Ayla agreed and hung you, quickly throwing on some clothes before quietly seeking out to the living room. She hadn't expected her older brother to be sitting in the kitchen getting ready for a late-night shift that Ayla didn't know he had.

"Going somewhere?" Jordan asked from the doorway behind Ayla.

The girl let out a breath before turning to her brother. "It's not what you think."

"Really? Because it looks like you're sneaking out in the middle of the night...again!"

"Okay, it might be what it looks like but it's for a good reason Jordan, I promise!"

Walking over to his sister, Jordan pulled the keys from her hands. "No Ayla, you're grounded, there is no reason you need to be going out in the middle of the night."

"Jordan please-"

"No!" he yelled, putting his hand up to stop Ayla from speaking, catching her off guard. "The last time you left in the middle of the night, you almost died!"

He wasn't wrong.

Back in Nevada, the reason Ayla moved away to get a fresh start, was because she almost died and it was the last straw.

After her mother passed away, Ayla turned into an almost completely different person. Becoming closed off and angry at the world. She started hanging out with the wrong crowd and stopped doing well in school and used parties and alcohol to hide her pain.

One night at the end of summer, Ayla snuck out to a party with her boyfriend and a couple of their friends like she had many times before. At the party, she saw Kyler talking to another girl. There weren't even any signs that they had been flirting but Ayla was already drunk and angry so to make Kyler jealous she started dancing with another guy in front of him.