Chapter Twenty-Five: The After Kill

If Ayla Parrish was sure about one thing, she was sure that she hated hospitals. She hated the constant beeping, the too-clean smell, and having to constantly talk to doctors and nurses who seemed to never read the girl's chart.

She also hated visitors.

Especially when they would talk to her like nothing happened. As if Ayla hadn't just murdered a man a few days before. The only visitors she would allow to stay for longer than an hour were Stiles and Jordan. The two would trade off who stayed with the girl as Jordan was going back to the house to make sure everything was put back together and cleaned up before Ayla got home.

Stiles lay in the bed next to Ayla, his arm around her as she curled into his side. Two days had passed since the incident and she had calmed down enough to where she wasn't crying all the time but Ayla still couldn't bring herself to laugh despite Stiles' many attempts at terrible jokes.

"Lydia thinks her grandma faked her own death?" Ayla asked as she played with Stiles' hand, tracing shapes and intertwining their fingers as a way to calm her nerves.

The boy nodded. "Yeah, she thinks she might be helping or is the Benefactor. After we tried catching them, Scott mentioned how he seemed to not need to see the dead body to know their dead, and the only other creature that can sense if someone is dead or not is a banshee. From what Lydia's mom told her about her grandmother, she's pretty sure she was also one."

"You should talk to your dad about it, maybe he can look into it?"

Stiles agreed, "Yeah Lydia and I are probably gonna talk to him about it tonight." There was a moment of silence between the two before Stiles sat up to speak, "So uh, the other night Deaton told Scott and I-"

Stiles was cut off by Melissa walking into the room, a smile spread across her face. "Alright Ayla, I have some good news!" she practically clapped her hands together, "you should be able to go home in a couple of hours, I just need Jordan to fill out some paperwork."

"Are you-are you sure I'm okay?" Ayla stuttered, sitting up straight, wincing slightly as the pain in her side hadn't gone away yet.

The woman nodded. "Yup, you just need to take it easy at home, no overworking yourself or doing any physical activity," Melissa paused and pointed between the two teens causing them to move away from each other slightly, "so you don't rip the stitches in your side but, everything else looks really good."

"That's great right?" Stiles asked, looking down at the girl.

"Yeah...great." The truth, Ayla was terrified to go back to her house, knowing as soon as she saw it, it would send her into a panic attack.

This is why, when Jordan finally brought her home, Ayla stood on the front lawn, staring at the small one floor house. Ayla couldn't bring herself to move despite the comforting 'Welcome Home' banner hung above the front door and the smiling faces of Stiles and Lydia standing below it.

Jordan stood beside his sister, seeing the concerned look on her face he quickly tried to comfort her. "Look, I know it's hard Lollie, but I promise, nothing is going to happen. I'm not gonna leave you alone again."

The older Parrish had felt beyond guilty about not being home to protect his little sister despite Ayla telling him over and over that it wasn't his fault. He tried to hold her hand and lead her into the house but Ayla still couldn't bring herself to go inside.

"I can't JP...not yet. Please," her voice was broken and soft so the others wouldn't hear, "please don't make me."

He nodded, "Okay, okay, how about," he pulled out his wallet, handing the girl his card. "How about the three of you go out to eat instead?"