Chapter Forty-Two: Save Yourself

Putting her hand to her head, confused. Ayla stared at the person standing before her. "Kyler?" There is no way what she was seeing is real.

"I never knew you to be a quitter, Ayla Parrish. What are you doing?" He bent down next to her.

"No. No. Y-you're dead." Slowly, Ayla sat herself up. Wincing at the pain in her shoulder. "God. This can't be happening." Nothing was making sense to her. Perhaps Ayla was already dead. Otherwise, how could she be seeing her dead ex-boyfriend? "I'm dead, aren't I?"

Kyler rolled his eyes. "No, Ayla, you're not dead. Not yet anyway but if you keep laying on the ground like that you will be soon. Come on, get up." Ayla had very little energy, and seeing Kyler just confused the hell out of her. "Come on Ayla, I know you don't want to die. Get up! Get up!"

Ayla's eyes shot open as her whole body seemed to come to life. She had blacked out without realizing it. Had seeing Kyler all just been a dream? It had to have been. Whether or not it was, it gave her the motivation to get up again. With a grunt of pain, Ayla Parrish pushed herself up from the ground and made her way to the door that was only a few feet away.

Despite Theo acting like a crazed master's mind, he hadn't taken the extra second to lock the door behind him. Maybe he didn't think Ayla would get out of there alive.

On the other side of the door, Ayla realized the basement room she had been in was in some kind of old factory. There was no turning back now. With a deep breath, Ayla began to limp her way through the factory, trying to find her way out. There was no stopping now.

Slowly, Ayla's body was beginning to heal as her powers came back to her. It definitely wasn't to the degree she needed as the poison worked faster and harder. Her head had begun to clear slightly and Ayla's shoulder didn't hurt as bad as it did when she first fell.

The poison wasn't budging though and continued to spread throughout her body, turning almost all her veins black.

The walk through the factory was long and winding, but she could see through a far window that the sun had set again. Meaning it had been at least two or three days since she's gone missing and still no one had found her.

"Sometimes you just gotta save yourself," she muttered to herself.

Ayla had made her way to a set of stairs and paused. She would have to climb them if she wanted to live.

"Alright, I got this."

Gripping the railing with her left hand, Ayla pulled herself forward, using that force to jump up a step on her leg that wasn't poisoned. Doing this a few times, Ayla had managed her way up a couple of stairs but soon her hand began to sweat and her grip wasn't as strong as it had been at the start. That, along with the fever and concussion she most definitely had obstructed a bit of her vision causing her to miscalculate her footing. Missing a step, Ayla lost her balance, and went tumbling down the flight of stairs.

"You have got to be kidding me!" Ayla groaned, holding onto her already hurt shoulder. "This is just not my day."

"You can do better than that!" Kyler yelled to her from the top of the stairs.

Ayla sent him a glare as she sat up slightly. "Oh, what do you know? You're dead!" Ayla snapped at him. Annoyed at his optimism.

Rolling his eyes, Kyler crossed his arms over his chest. "Remember when you walked along the top of your roof when we were fifteen? You were trying to show off to Janice Harvy and me."

Ayla did remember that. It was the summer after her mother died and the year Jordan enlisted. After feeling so alone for months, Ayla did almost anything for attention. "Yeah, I fell and broke my arm in five places." Ayla wasn't sure where Kyler was going with the story but it sure as hell didn't help the current situation.