Chapter Thirty-One: End of Summer

"Do you have to leave tomorrow?" Stiles whined from his spot on his bed next to Ayla.

The Parrish girl smiled to herself, keeping her eyes trained on her laptop screen. "It's only for a couple of weeks."

"Uh, no. A couple means 2 or even 3. You'll be gone practically that whole summer." He pouted sitting up. "I had a lot of plans for us."

Ayla turned to her boyfriend. "Stiles, you know my dad has been getting worse and I promised I would take care of him over the summer until we can get him set up in his care home so Jordan wouldn't have to take time out of work."

The Parrish sibling's father had been sick for years. Being on the older side, it didn't come as much of a shock but it didn't help that he had hidden it from his children until he had gotten really bad. Originally Ayla wanted to move back permanently to be with him but her father wouldn't allow it, citing that moving schools again could negatively impact her grades which would then impact her ability to get into a good college. So the Parrish family settled on Ayla going for the summer and helping the older man get set up in his new care home.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm being insensitive. I'm just really gonna miss you." Stiles pulled her hair behind her shoulder so he could see her face better.

"I'll miss you too but this will also give me a chance to just take the summer and learn all that I can about my powers. Maybe try some new things."

Stiles was intrigued by this. "New things?"

Ayla nodded. "Yeah, I've been doing some research trying to figure out the things I can do. Most websites all list the same things though."

"Like what."

Letting out a sigh, Ayla began to list all the things that she has read about. "Well to start with the most obvious one, I'm supposed to be able to fly, haven't been able to figure that one out yet."

"You sure you can't fly?"

The girl almost laughed at this. "I'm sure."

"Okay, what else?"

"Uh." Ayla looked back to the computer to continue to read the article she had pulled up. "The powers that I'm not so sure I have are telekinesis, telepathy, resurrection, invisibility, teleportation, dream walking, killing touch, sedation, healing, and clairvoyance."

"Clairvoyance?"

"It means I should be able to see that dead."

Stiles let out an 'oh' and nodded his head. "So you can't see that dead?" Ayla shook her head. "Maybe that's a good thing, who would want to see the dead anyways?" he chuckled.

"Yeah..." Ayla trailed off. The truth was, she thought it might be a little cool to see the dead. Maybe it could give her a chance to see her mom again or maybe Allison...and Kyler.

Stiles nodded. "Maybe you'll develop more powers in the future."

"Maybe," Ayla agreed before turning back to her computer.

-

"Do you promise to call every day?" Stiles asked the next day as the two stood next to Jordan's car.

She smiled up at him. "Of course."

"But like do you promise, promise, or are you just saying you promise because you want me to stop talking? I was just thinking because Malia was saying how you could go back home and fall in love with some hometown boy like in those Hallmark movies, and I wouldn't want that to happen so-" Stiles was cut off by Ayla pulling him in with a passionate kiss, holding his face.