Chapter Twenty-Two: Teacher Turned Killer

Scott, Stiles, and Ayla stood at the vault door as the Alpha did everything he could to listen for the upstairs commotion, but his being sick also affected his hearing.

"Anything?" Stiles asked, in between coughs.

"They're looking for us. Someone's going to have to go out there," Scott explains turning to the two.

It was obvious who it was going to be. Stiles and Ayla were the two least affected so of course, it had to be one of them.

"Okay, I'll do it." Ayla agreed.

Scott shook his head. "You can't go alone, it will look too weird, especially since you aren't sick."

"I'll go with you," Stiles offered but Ayla shook her head.

"No, you're too sick, you should be resting like the others." She wasn't wrong, Stiles was worse than he had been an hour ago. His face was dripping in sweat and the rash on his hand had spread.

"Ayla, I'm coming," he said more sternly.

She didn't want to fight with him on this so she agreed. Before leaving Ayla checked on Kira. "Hey, we're gonna go upstairs for a bit. How are you?"

"I'm doing okay, I'm just a bit tired that's all." Ayla nodded but it was clear the virus was really affecting the girl because the entire time the two spoke, Kira was looking beside Ayla, not at her. Not wanting to scare her, Ayla didn't mention it. Before the two left the vault Kira asked the girl. "Can you find my dad and make sure he's okay?"

"Yeah, yeah of course," Ayla agreed, giving Kira a hug, just in case something were to happen while she was gone.

They went upstairs to the quarantine area, looking for Kira's father who they for some reason couldn't find. Stiles was quick to find Lydia's mom and went to talk to her, Ayla quickly followed behind knowing that it wasn't the best idea for Stiles to be talking to her since he was sick.

"Stiles, you're not looking so good, maybe you ought to lie down." She motioned towards a bed but Stiles refused.

"It's okay, have you seen Mr. Yukimura?"

"Yeah, he's fine, he's helping the other students."

The two nodded and when they turned to leave, Stiles caught a glimpse of Coach in one of the beds that were closed off by the plastic barriers. "Wait," he said to Ayla before turning back to Mrs. Martin. "Is Coach the only adult who got sick today?"

The woman nodded. "As far as I know."

The boy furrowed his brows in confusion, "Why is he..." he trailed off, tripping over his feet. Ayla was quick to hold him up to make sure he didn't fall

"Stiles? I think you should lie down." Even Ayla was starting to agree with Mrs. Martin.

"Yeah, no, it's okay. I'll be back, I'll be right back."

Stiles ran off quickly but Ayla was sure to follow him. She knew how his mind worked and it was clear he was putting together something in his head.

"Stiles wait up!" Ayla yelled after him as he ran into Coach's office. "What are you doing?" he began rummaging through all his things, going through draws and paperwork on the man's desk. "I don't think you're supposed to be doing that." But Stiles didn't care and continued to look through everything. When nothing came up he sat at the desk defeated. "What were you looking for exactly?" Ayla asked.

"Something that would tell us why Coach is the only adult that's sick, but there's nothing." At least that's what Stiles thought until he saw black smudging on Coach's coffee mug. "That is! It was the ink we used to take our fingerprints," he said to Ayla. "That's how we all got infected."