Chapter Twenty-Four: Photokinesis

The house was quiet and cold. Stiles had gone home a couple of hours ago, leaving Ayla by herself and unable to sleep. It had been about two days since trying to catch the Benefactor and the pack was trying to figure out their next move. She had been watching Netflix on her laptop, trying to ignore the same anxious feeling she always got when something was gonna happen.

She wanted to call Kira but the girl was with her mother in the hospital and Lydia was at the lake house and no one had heard from Malia for about two days. Finding out that Peter Hale was her father really messed with her.

Looking at the clock next to her bed, Ayla sighed. Jordan still had about an hour before he would be home. Deciding she was thirsty, Ayla got out of bed, slipped on her bunny slippers that her brother had always teased her for, and began to make her way to the kitchen.

But the sound of someone in her living room caused Ayla to stop in her tracks. "Jordan, you're home early. Did you get me something to eat?" Ayla asked, assuming it was her brother getting home from his shift. He would definitely ask her why she was still awake but she didn't care. Only, when he didn't respond, Ayla froze. Something inside her was telling the girl not to go into the living room.

Hearing the creaking of the floorboards caused Ayla quickly to turn on her heels and run back to her room where her daggers were hidden, tucked in the side of her mattress. Flinging herself to her bed, Ayla grabbed her dagger but made the mistake of not shutting the door beforehand. Turning around, she flung herself backwards just in time as a throwing knife missed her face by an inch, flipped over her bed in the process to gain some coverage on the other side.

Standing in her doorway was a scrawny man about her brother's age with shoulder-length dark hair and a patchy beard, dressed in all black. Ayla would have never pictured this man as an assassin. He looked nerdy.

"Shit!" she muttered to herself as the man came into her room. He grabbed another throwing knife, aiming it right for her head but this time, Ayla rolled over so the blade dug into the wooden floor next to her.

Grabbing the knife, Ayla threw it back at the man, which surprised him. This gave her the ability to climb on her bed, using it as leverage to tackle the man to the ground, and send her fist across his face. Had she not been filled with so much rage, she would never have been able to take him on. But this was her home he had intruded on.

The girl threw a few more punches before crawling over him, reaching for her phone that she dropped when they fell, losing her bunny slippers in the process. The man grabbed Ayla's leg as she climbed over him, slashing it with a knife he had, causing the young girl to let out a shriek. It was the worst pain she had ever felt. Even when she got cut by the Oni it didn't hurt as bad as this.

He pulled her closer to him by her ankles as she tried to crawl away. When she fought too hard, he stabbed her in the side. Again she let out a yell in pain before using a bit of her strength to kick him in the stomach. Ayla then trapped one of the man's legs between her own, flipping her body so that his leg twisted with her, knocking him to the ground.

Finally able to run, Ayla grabbed her phone and headed down the hall to the bathroom. She was in so much pain and running on adrenaline, she wasn't thinking right so, of course, Ayla picked the only room in the house without a window. This time she shut and locked the door first before grabbing a towel, instantly putting pressure on her side before dialing Jordan's number.

After a few seconds, the call went to voicemail and Ayla let out a frustrated groan as she then tried calling Stiles. Ayla cursed when he didn't pick up either but it was three in the morning and he was probably fast asleep. The cuts on her leg and side were burning now and Ayla didn't have super healing like a werewolf but when she was physically hurt, the pain would usually only last a few moments before it was gone and the wounds would begin to heal. This pain wasn't going away and Ayla was bleeding fast like a human.