Chapter 19

(Yaoyorozu's POV)

After dinner, some of the girls had finished their homework early, (some never touched theirs), and decided to watch a movie. The four younger kids were helping to make a pillow fort that everyone could watch from in it. After an hour of setting up and making sure there was enough popcorn for everyone, Momo played the movie.

Six crunched on the popcorn with Mono glaring at the screen, waiting for the slightest hint that something might go wrong, though no one knew what he was expecting. Seven had fallen asleep on Uraraka and quietly hugged his nome while he slept. RG was really enjoying the movie even if she didn't understand the plot.

By the end of the movie all the kids were asleep apart from Mono. The boy sat close to his friends but was clearly nodding off too. Tsu picked up RG who hugged in her sleep and said goodnight to everyone. Ashido and Hagakure went to bed excitedly chattering about shopping the next day. Uraraka explained that she was going to find Deku and Kirishima so they could take their charges to bed. Jirou had been working on something the whole way through the movie and didn't seem to notice that it had finished so she and Six remained in the pillow fort. Momo looked at the tired boy. Mono jolted himself up again and couldn't take his eyes off the screen.

"Did you like the movie?" She asked him. Mono didn't respond. Momo was confused. Mono was quite social compared to Six. Sure he seemed protective of her but guessing what they had been through, Momo figured it was from a trauma bond. But still, over the week, Mono had proven himself to be quite intelligent regarding social skills. No where near RG's level but it wasn't like him to ignore people. Momo brushed it off as the boy being half asleep. Just then, Kirishima and Deku came into the room. Kirishima was also clearly tired so he didn't stick around for long. He smiled and asked about the movie but the girls could tell that he was only being polite. Kirishima picked up Seven and went to the elevator. Mono was upset at being picked up and whining but was too tired to do much else. Deku glanced at Momo for an explanation as to why the usually calm boy was suddenly acting up. Momo shrugged, feeling slightly guilty for not having an answer. Mono's mood worsened when Deku attempted to leave the room. Deku guessed that it was because of how late it was. Mono only settled when Jirou followed behind, holding a sleeping Six.

Mono tossed in his sleep. Feeling panicked as he re-lived his nightmares. Deku also slept but in a more peaceful state. Mono whimpered again as his face knotted with fear.

~Flashback~

Mono and Six jumped out of the window and back into the pouring streets. Six's raincoat proved successful at deflecting the rain though Mono's trench coat remained damp from the years of rain. The two walked through the cold alleyway until they came to a bus stop. Mono noted another pile of clothes, positioned on the creaky seat as if the person wearing them had got on the bus without them. Mono laughed at the thought but deep down knew that wasn't what had happened there. The boy looked over to Six who didn't seem to care about the bus seat clothes. Her eyes shadowed behind her hair. Mono held her hand tightly, feeling a slight hinge of concern for his friend. Six seemed so..fine with what they had just done. Mono opened his mouth from under his mask but chose not to speak. He didn't want to make Six feel uncomfortable with an unwanted conversation.

"Let's keep moving. Maybe we can find somewhere to rest?" Mono offered, taking the lead. Six said nothing but walked quietly next to him, undermining Mono's attempt at a defensive demeanour.

The two entered a nearby house. It was empty inside apart from an old staircase. As the two climbed up them, Mono guessed that the building may have once been an apartment complex due to the amount of doors on each floor. After realising that the stairs broke, the duo entered an apartment that was open. As soon as they got in, the roof caved and a man fell through. Six gasped.

"He's a Viewer, another monster" Mono explained, recognising the disturbed figure. The said viewer sat up and suddenly ran forward and into the next room. Mono and Six followed only to see that it had crashed into the tv and was now dead. This room had a little bit of furniture and an open window that the two children used to escape onto a sloped roof.

After manoeuvring into the next building, they could hear a distorted audio coming from the next room. Another view was seen attempting to peek through the door. Six appeared grossed out by the viewers appearance but Mono was used to the ugliness of the Pale city's population. They rounded a corner and saw a female in the end of the hall watching a different tv. Its screen was blue and staticy and playing a happy elevator tune. The kids passed through a broken door and into another room of the rundown building.

Once through some more rooms and facing some maintenance issues involving an elevator, they eventually found themselves on the slippery rooftops of the many buildings. Six and Mono stared at the sheer tallness of the Signal Tower. A monster in its own rights for having caused the nightmarish land that the two lived in. The other building tilted towards as if trying to get closer to its blinding light. Mono had spent his entire life in the Pale city. Of course it was somewhat normal when he was younger but all of his memories consisted of being sent to boarding school in an attempt to distance from the tower and then living on the streets until he made his way to the forest as he tried to escape the city. That's where he first saw Six and shortly after, her being taken. Mono was snapped out of his thoughts when the two entered a building that seemed even more withered than the rest. The ceiling was creaking loudly so Mono looked to Six.

"We have to go quickly," he warned. The two took a deep breath and then made a mad dash for the door that blocked the room. Suddenly the ceiling began to cave in and the two pushed the door as hard as they could. The door came off its hinges and the two fell down the ramp it created. They snapped out of their momentary daze when the debris continued to threaten to fall and crush them. They kept running but clouds of dust blocked their vision as the floorboards beneath them broke. Mono felt himself tripping and falling and could hear Six scream in fear and then the world went dark and quiet.

Mono awoke with a sharp intake of air and he pushed the debris off himself. Mono looked around when his flashlight suddenly gave up on him. Feeling frustrated, Mono darted his head around for his best friend and was shocked to see her pinned under rubble. He made his way over to her and managed to pull Six out before she was crushed to death. They stood up on wobbly feet, brushed themselves down and made their way out of the room. It was clear that they were now in an abandoned home as the first room that they discovered was filled with toys and drawings. Mono wondered who lived here as they continued to navigate the environment. As they made their way past the front door, a loud banging alerted the two that they had little time before someone or something broke in. Being too tired to keep running or fight, they tried to think of a way to escape.

"Psst, Mono, in here!" Six called and waved the boy in what looked to be a living room. Mono immediately noticed the tv and ran to it. There was a signal but it was faint. Mono reached out to touch it but Six grabbed his hand.

"Six?" Mono questioned.

"We don't have time for that! We need to go!" Six pressed anxiously as the door creaked.

"Six, I know what I'm doing! I've almost fixed-" Mono attempted to reason but louder banging and wood cracking cut him off.

"But you'll get all freaky again!" Six replied with fear in her eyes. Mono thought for a minute and began to turn away from the tv when the front door finally broke down and a swarm of viewers crammed into the front room. Six screamed in fear and Mono felt an instinct kick in. A reaction to the danger. He held Six's hand tighter than ever before and reached for the tv. Instead of the hallway's twisted image, Mono felt himself getting sucked into the signal, taking Six with him.

It was loud in the tv. Mono never let go of his friend as they plummeted through the weird dimension. He could hear Six cry out in pain as Mono also began to feel drained. He fought to keep his eyes open but he didn't last long. Finally Mono felt the signal end but he was unconscious before he was spat out of the next tv.