Chapter 36

This is a part 1 of 2, part 2 should come out tomorrow. I'm sorry, I thought that the janky chapters would be over but apparently not. Enjoy, nonetheless

———

(Bakugou's POV)

It was the next morning and Bakugou hated to admit it but he had barely slept the previous night. Rerunning the events of the evening, wondering what he could have done better. Anxiety plagued his mind on what ifs. What if he didn't get them out in time? What if it had already been too late? What if... what if they didn't make it through the night? He angrily fought the ideas, who was he to be nervous? It left a sour taste in his mouth, being worried. Still, he couldn't help but continually patrol the hall of the hospital. Poking his head in each room, listening to the heart monitor in each room. The rhythmic beeping remained in his ears all the way back to the dorms and followed until he lay down to sleep. Every time Bakugou closed his eyes, the beeps muffled and then abruptly flatlined. Bakugou would shoot up awake, sweat dripping from his body in visible droplets, lungs forcing air across his body in painful drumming waves. It took him a minute to compose himself before he lay back down again and the cycle repeated. Was he going crazy? He could swear that the beeps were real, that he was still at the hospital but then he opened his eyes to find he was suddenly in his dorm. This continued all night.

Finally the day broke. Saturday. Bakugou used the excuse of taking Kirishima and Seven to the hospital in order to check on the kids again.

That was where he was currently. Standing in the doorway of Tsu and RG, glaring at a nurse. He had to get in to check on the little girl but found the entry blocked and after being ignored upon polite request to get past, he had to resort to shoving his way through. Nothing new in his line of work. But apparently this did not go over well with Bakugou who refused to tear his gaze from the nurse, slightly unnerving the poor man. He did remark that RG's healing was going as planned and the child should be waking soon, with any luck.

Bakugou used his grudge with the nurse as a reason to follow the man into Six's room. The nurse did his routine; reading charts, changing bags of fluid, readjusting the bed. He explained that Six would still be unconscious for a while but the local anaesthetic had worn off. Bakugou couldn't fight his disappointment towards that news. The nurse quickly and quietly slipped past him and shuffled into Mono's room.

When Bakugou followed him again, still glaring, Deku stepped in. The nurse seemed thankful to be doing his job without the narrow red eyes burning a hole in the back of his head. Deku awkwardly apologised and led Bakugou out into the hall, making the excuse of 'let's go get some breakfast', even though they both knew hospital food was less than decent.

Bakugou waited by Deku as the green-haired boy fiddled with money for the vending machine they currently stood at. A soft pitter-patter caught Bakugou's attention but he only looked up when he heard a familiar voice.

"Six? Six!? Six where are you?!" It frantically called. Bakugou spotted Mono in a hospital gown running down the hall in a panic. Black, thick pixels dotted his body and warbled his voice. Deku turned around in shock.

"Mono?"

(Mono's POV)

Mono twisted uncomfortably. It felt as though his organs were moving inside of his skin, dancing freely. His skin itself prickled, tensing and promptly relaxing across his body like little bugs were crawling and biting him. It was becoming painful. But the feelings only grew, as if trying to disturb him awake. Mono was still tired. Exhausted from... he didn't remember but he wanted to stay asleep. As if the thought triggered it, the sensations got worse. Now it was undeniably painful. Mono's eyes flickered open. Where was he? Deku's room wasn't white? His walls were covered in little toys and posters of the same man, not a clean white with strange machines. Looking down at his arms, Mono was surprised to see big black pixels pinching his body, causing him the sensation. He sat up a bit and a bruise-like feeling greeted him. His whole body was sore. A migraine flared in his head but he ignored it. Flashes of a cage confused Mono. More flashes became clear as Mono explored his fuzzy memory. A cage, stairs, a room full of adults. Mono could vaguely recall RG and Six- oh God where was she? Six had been there with him but not next to him when he woke up. Had she been taken again? Mono's heart leapt into his throat and he sprung from the bed. He landed unsteadily and took no notice of his missing clothes or the new scratchy oversized shirt. The gown went to his knees and hung loosely around his neck. The black pixels fizzed on his body, less painful now but still a mystery as to what they were or where they came from. More memories of fighting and pain. Lots of pain. There was blood; his, Six's, the adults. Six had been hurt! Where was she? Mono felt his heart race, pounding that only worsened his migraine. His hands got sweaty, he found when he clenched them. Panic set in when he looked around the room and couldn't find his friend.

"Six?" He asked. His voice was alien like, crackling in the static. "Six are you in here?" Mono asked again. He noticed that the door was opened. He crept out and his mind began to feel overwhelmed by the many things he saw, heard and smelt. The hall was as clean and white as the room he woke up in but the smell, it hurt him physically. Chemicals stung his nose and seeped into his head. The sheer amount of people who went past. All running and shouting, Mono wasn't sure half of them were speaking an actual language.

"Six?" He called quietly into the hall. He was confident enough that she would hear over the noise but didn't like that he received no answer. He stepped out further, almost tripping someone over but they paid no attention to him. The chaos, the noise, the people, all of it was very reminiscent of when they first left UA.

"Six?! Can you hear me?" He called, daring to get louder. His voice broke as he spoke, caught and whisked away by the static that buzzed constantly. Mono was fairly certain his heart might explode from his chest if it didn't stop rapidly beating but he couldn't stop now. Mono always felt this way when he and Six got separated, first a cold panic, then a fiery anger accompanied by a burning sense of determination, cloudy desperation lead him to frantically chase after Six, or whoever had taken her from him and when he finally saw her again or held her hand, relief drenched him and he never wanted to let go, let her out of his sights again. His panic was slowly turning to anguish. His brows furrowed as he tried to remember what had stolen his best friend. Blood, glass everywhere, couldn't breathe. Mono fought his shaking hands as he recalled the fear he felt. Pure terror was a better fit. A scream! Mono remembered hearing a scream. Painfully ringing in his ears, a loud, familiar, skin-crawling scream. Six had been really hurt. By a woman. Mono felt his hands fizz as his quirk flared. Black eyes darted around, attempting to find the face of the woman who hurt Six. But so many looked the same, it was impossible to get a second glance to confirm as by the time Mono thought he found her, she disappeared. Angrily, he stormed into the hall, lips curled back, baring his teeth like Six did.

"Six? Six, I'm over here!" He yelled over the crowd. Surprisingly, no one took notice of him. His anger pressured him to walk around to find her, black pixels sparking dangerously across his body.