Chapter 37

(Mono's POV)

Mono continued calling for Six as he made his way down the hall.

"Mono?" A familiar voice asked. Mono turned to face it as Deku stared back. The little boy looked feral. Shoulders ups, sweat on his face, breathing rapidly. Mono's black eyes were wide open but looked almost squinted at the same time, as if he was unfocused on what he was seeing. Black squares floated around his body and Deku wondered where they had come from. Mono's quirk produced navy or blue pixels, occasionally white ones. Never black. Still that didn't stop Deku from rushing over and hugging Mono. The child felt all air squeezed out of him, his hair stand on end and legs tremble. This was too much! He tried wriggling free but to no avail so he pushed away, legs struggling to find ground again. Deku looked at him confused.

"Mono? Are you okay?" Confusion turned to concern as Mono's eyes pricked with tears. He moved to get closer but the child backed up again.

"J-just stay there!.." Mono demanded, arms out to protect himself. Deku felt his heart break but obeyed.

"Mono? What's wrong?" Deku asked, keeping his voice low.

"I need to- I have to- I-I-" Mono struggled to turn his racing thoughts into a sentence. "Six!" He finally choked out. Deku stared back, confused. Frustrated, Mono clutched his head, running his fingers through his messy brown hair. His quirk attached to many available signals nearby, ready to pull him through should he need to escape, it was in response to his panic. Visually, nothing changed but it felt as if pieces of Mono clicked to something that he couldn't grab. Unfortunately, now the nurses and doctors around him noticed the frantic boy and were all moving towards him. Mono felt cornered, like he couldn't breathe, why couldn't they just leave him alone to find Six? Mono choked out a sob and failed to notice that tears had started falling down his face.

"Six!" He explained again to Deku, hoping this time he'd get the message.

"Six is safe, Mono" Deku tried to calm him. Mono growled. That's not what he wanted to know! The nurses began to form a circle, blocking all exits.

"J-j-just stop!" Mono cried, hands shaking and eyes closed tight. The muttering of the nurses and doctors was growing, like at any moment they would reach out and touch him.

"Everybody fuck off!" A new voice yelled. The world got quiet. Mono opened his eyes to see Bakugou, glaring as the staff shuffled back to their tasks, grumbling as they did. The teenager looked down to Mono, face never changing but Mono found some comfort that he had gotten everyone to leave. Only he, Deku and Bakugou remained.

"Six is in there" he said blankly, pointing to a room not far away. Mono took no time to race over. Deku looked to Bakugou.

"How did you kn-" he never got to finish his question as Bakugou walked away, most likely to find Kirishima and Seven.

Mono entered the room. It was like his but even more machines littered about. He saw a hospital bed and rushed to it.

"Six?" He asked. He climbed into a chair that had been pushed beside the bed. There lay Six. Her eyes were closed and Mono felt disgusted by the amount of tubes and wires attached to her form. But Six didn't seem to mind. She looked peaceful, like she was sleeping and having a really nice dream. Mono's heart rate slowed down and his breaths evened. He looked down to her hands. Nasty wires poked out of them but Mono gently put his around hers. All of the pixels faded away, leaving Mono feeling weak and very tired. A soft knock caught his attention. Deku and a man stood in the doorway.

"May we come in?" The man asked. Mono hesitantly nodded, his throat felt dry and sore.

"My name's Dr Osona, I'm the head of psychiatry. What's your name?" The man asked. He looked like a doctor, thick glasses and dark grey hair. He spoke very calmly and didn't get too close.

"Mono," the boy replied. The doctor sat down in a spare chair on the other side of the bed.

"This is your friend, Six?" Dr Osona guessed. Mono nodded and looked at Deku. The teen still looked highly concerned but said nothing. "She is getting better and I think she'll wake up soon" Osona said, a twinkle in his eyes.

"What happened to us?" Mono whispered. He wanted answers.

"You and your friends were taken by some very bad people who hurt you. But you all were very brave and help arrived in time to save you" Dr Osona explained. Mono admitted he liked the way he spoke. Quiet, calm and in small words that didn't need any time to digest. Like he was talking to a child, which he supposed was true but Mono wasn't a baby.

"Mono? Is it okay if we talk about what happened in the hall?" Dr Osona asked softly. Mono nodded, his migraine was slowly fading.

"Do you often get like that when you get scared?" The kind man asked. Mono thought for a bit.

"Not really, only when Six is in danger" he explained. Dr Osona nodded.

"And how are you feeling now? Knowing that she's okay?" He questioned.

"Better. Six always calms me down" Mono muttered the last part but Dr Osona heard him.

"If you don't mind me asking, do you feel scared when other people leave you alone for a long time?" Dr Osona asked. Mono took some time to answer.

"Maybe a little? I don't like being by myself but especially when Six is taken away" the boy replied. He had been by himself for a long time but after meeting Six, he never wanted to go back to that. Strangely, he didn't mind when other people left him but the longest he was willing to be away from Six was at night with Deku. He had the comfort of knowing where she was and that she was safe with Jirou.

"Mono, from what I'm hearing, I think you may have separation anxiety. To confirm, we'd need to do a few more tests but we don't have to. It's not a bad thing and it is not your fault" Dr Osona concluded, emphasising the last part. Whilst it took Mono a minute to decipher 'separation anxiety', he figured it meant scared when people left. Mono felt a little reassured, Six complained of him being clingy especially if he had just rescued her. Mono only gave a nod in response to the doctor, unsure of what else to say. Deku entered the room, surprising Mono who didn't notice him leave, with Jirou.

"Mono, do you think you could help me with something for Six?" She asked and Mono promptly nodded in agreement.