Chapter 21

The cafe wasn't far, maybe a block away but it was a nice day. Mirio led the charge as all five kids shuffled after him, hiding in his shadow. Eri wasn't used to being outside and this was the first time outside the school grounds for the rest. Mono and RG gazed around occasionally, their curiosity overwhelmed by fear. Six didn't move her eyes from the concrete path, feeling small in this new environment. Seven and Eri remained close to Mirio, frightened by the big world around them. Mirio smiled as he led them down the road until they got to their destination.

"Ah, here we are" Mirio announced as the entered the cafe. The kids took in a moment to analyse the area. Seven fliched at the noises of talking but he soon adjusted. Six perked at the many smells of food and Mono and RG relaxed in the smaller environment. Eri still appeared on nerve.

After they had been seated, Mirio explained how cafes worked.

"So these are menus. They list what you can have and then you tell the waiter what you'd like. Then they bring back the food and you eat it" he explained. Mono picked up a menu and he and Six shared it. Seven and RG did the same as Mirio helped Eri with her menu, explaining what each dish was.

"So, what do you want Six?" Mono asked.

"Meat" Six awed. Six couldn't read, unlike Mono but he knew what she would like.

"How about some pork buns? I might have some too" Mono decided. Seven could read a little and picked out some fish and chips. Mainly because he only understood the 'fish' part. RG also struggled with reading so chose solely on the pictures. She picked a rice dish that looked like a bear. Mirio ordered for everyone since the kids were too shy to talk to the waiter but RG tried.

"Can I have this one?" She asked, pointing to her picture. The waiter smiled and nodded.

Soon the food was ready and had been brought over to their table. Mono and Six shared a plate of pork buns, RG got bear fried rice, Seven fish and chips, Mirio got some ramen and Eri was enjoying a fruit salad. It wasn't really a lunch but Eri didn't want to try anything else which Mirio understood. Six really liked the pork buns. They were sweet in the middle and the bun part was tasty too. Seven liked his too but RG took the piece of lemon for herself.

"So you guys get to go shopping tonight? I heard that it's going to get pretty busy we're you're going" Mirio started. RG nodded slightly, still enjoy the lemon.

"Tsu says there's going to be all sorts of stuff to do" she said. Mirio nodded in response.

"I won't spoil what the girls have planned for you but let's just say, you're going to have lots fun!" Mirio winked.

"Will I be going?" Eri asked quietly.

"Only if you want to" Mirio smiled. Eri bit her lip slightly in thought. Did she want to go? She knew that Mirio wouldn't be but her friends were. While Eri was choosing, Mirio got the bill.

As they were walking back, Mirio realised that they still had an hour before they had to be back. More importantly, they were passing a smoothie stand.

"Hey do you guys want a smoothie before we go back?" Mirio asked. The kids looked up at him in confusion.

"What's a smoothie?" They all asked at the same time.

"It's fruit blended together into a drink" Mirio explained as he led them over. "What flavours do you guys want?". The kids stood around the chalkboard menu as they decided. Mono, being the only one who could read, was reading aloud so the others could choose.

"Apple juice, made with real apples. Orange juice, freshly squeezed. Mango smoothie, Mixed berry smoothie, Kale smoothie, Strawberry smoothie" Mono read.

"Do you know what you want?" Mirio asked after a minute or so.

"Can I have an apple juice?" Eri asked.

"Can I have a strawberry one please?" Seven answered.

"May I have an orange juice please?" RG replied.

"Six wants mixed berry and can I get a mango one please?" Mono said. Mirio nodded and placed the orders.

Once everyone had their drinks, they set off again. Seven liked the sweetness of his. Mono and RG's weren't as sweet but tasted very summery. Six and Eri drank theirs quietly.

(Mirio's POV)

When they got home, they had about 2 hours until class 1A got out so Mirio took them to the playroom again. Mirio had a plan to teach them some new games so he had them all sit down so he could explain them.

"Some this one is kind of like hide the boot, it's called hide and seek" he started.

"How do you play it?" Seven asked.

"Well, one person closes their eyes and counts to 30 and everyone else has to hide somewhere. Then the counter has to go find everyone" Mirio explained. The kids nodded hesitantly. It did sound like hide the boot.

"So, who counts?" Mono asked.

"Well, how about I count first while you hide?" Mirio replied. The kids nodded again and Mirio turned around. He covered his eyes and began to count.

"One, two, three..".

"Eri, come with me" RG whispered and took Eri by the hand as they rushed off quietly. Mirio was amazed at how quiet the kids were, he could barely hear their footsteps.

"Twenty-eight, twenty-nine, thirty!" Mirio finished and opened his eyes. He turned around and was surprised that he couldn't see any one. The room wasn't that small but it wasn't huge either. It had a few basic climbing frames, a toy box and even a small couch. Mirio went to the climbing frame first. He walked around it a few times, inspecting every surface of it before crawling under it. Inside, clinging to the roof of it, was RG and Eri.

"Found you" Mirio smiled as the girls laughed and crawled out. Mirio was impressed by their hiding spot but he needed to find the others.

"What do we do now?" Eri asked.

"You get to watch me find the others and the last person I find gets to count next" Mirio answered. The girls nodded and sat down on the floor. Next, Mirio went off to the toy box. He checked inside and was surprised he didn't see the last three, it seemed like a really obvious place to hide, especially since there weren't that many more hiding spots in the room. Mirio then went to the couch. There wasn't much room to hide so Mirio turned around and noticed something move in the vents. Mirio peaked inside and saw nothing but when he looked closer, he could make out a fabric. Mirio pulled on the vent cover and realised it could come off easily. With more light coming into the vent. Mirio could see Mono laying down in the vent, using his back to cover himself. Mono crawled out and Six came out after him, hidden from behind her best friend. Just as Mirio went to add the cover back on, a nome ran out. It rattle and clicked, seemingly annoyed at almost being locked in the vent. It ran off and jumped into Eri's arms, allowing itself to be petted by the girls as Six and Mono joined them. With only Seven left to find, Mirio doubled back over the room. That's when he noticed that the couch was pushed out slightly. Going over to check, Mirio noticed small tufts of black hair poking out. Mirio lent over and saw Seven, crouched in the shadows. Seven climbed out and smiled shyly as Mirio congratulated him.

"Well done, Sev, you win and now you get to count," Mirio explained. Seven shuffled on the spot.

"You want me to count..to thirty?" Seven asked quietly. Mirio nodded.

"I don't..know how" Seven said even quieter.

"That's okay, how about I help you?" Mirio offered. Seven smiled and nodded twice.