Chapter 35

Boo!

Happy Halloween, janky chapters should be over now

———

(Deku's POV)

Deku dodged Toga again. Now that Bakugou had gotten the kids out, they were slightly more free to fight. The LoV knew this as well and seemed less desperate to keep the fight going, their vantage gone. Deku had noticed that Shigaraki seemed impatient about something, most likely having something to do with that phone call he made just after Dabi separated the two sides. Deku didn't have to wait long to find his answer as a black swirling portal began to appear just across the room. Kurogiri. All the villains backed from their engagements with the cops and heros and made a dash for the portal. Malakai included. Deku, who was still filled with rage, felt his body move towards them, trying to keep fighting and return his vision from red. Running after Toga and getting the awful feeling of déjà vu, Deku could only focus on hurting the people who had hurt his kid. It was in that moment that Deku heard himself. He was a hero, he didn't want to hurt people; he wanted to save them and make them smile. It was this second of hesitation that gave Toga and the rest of the villains an opportunity to further their way to the portal. Deku noticed too late as he watched Briuchi fired his gun at the closing portal, Malakai smugly taking several. The holes bled thick purple before leaving him unharmed. He had gotten away again! Briuchi cried out in frustration, kicking some fallen rafters in anger. Deku stood in fury and waited for his emotions to settle, catch his breath and clear his head to think clearly. That's when he remembered Mono. He seemed to be the first as both Jirou and Tsu remained frozen in place, tending to injuries that threatened them. Deku took off down the same path that Kacchan had. Now that Dabi's flames had burnt out, it was significantly easier and faster to get outside where he expected everyone to be.

The air was much cooler now that it was after midnight. Deku desperately looked around waiting to find Mono standing there, anxious to see everyone okay. Deku had noticed that the young boy always wanted to see all of his friends okay, often asking how Deku was at night, just before going to sleep. Deku admired that in the child. But all Deku found was Kacchan standing alone, staring sadly at Seven. Deku walked over to him, looking confused.

"W-where is...? What...? Where..?" He could barely ask what was so important. Kacchan turned to face him, mouth gasping like a fish. He was struggling to find the words. Deku's mind immediately spun out of control, going to worst case scenarios. Kacchan must have seen this and quickly reassured him.

"They're alive! They're on route to a hospital nearby!" He said, though he was unsure if the last part was true or not, it was a reasonable guess. Deku heard this and felt the air in his lungs finally exhale. Three pairs of footsteps alerted them of Jirou, Tsu and Kirishima approaching. The latter made his way to Seven, gladly taking the boy from the cop who held him. Jirou and Tsu gave Kacchan a similar look as Deku did, his unreadable expression wasn't useful. Kacchan repeated what he had told Deku and the girls relaxed slightly but as Kacchan continued to explain what had happened, Deku found himself watching Kirishima hold Seven. The little boy seemed comfortable in his guardian's arms but kept looking at Kacchan. Deku knew that Seven was likely listening to him, even from where he was. Kacchan appeared aware of this and spoke quietly, barely above a whisper. Combined with that, Seven was struggling to keep his eyes open so Deku could see that Seven wasn't able to listen effectively. Deku yearned to hold Mono again, even just to see or hear him again. Then he could feel okay again.

"I'm going to go see Mono," Deku muttered. In all honesty, he was exhausted. The girls agreed to come with him so the three of them began their journey, the kindly cop who guarded Seven offered to drive them there.

(Third POV)

The students arrived at the hospital within the hour. It didn't take long for the nurses to allow them in to see the kids, given they were recognised UA students and had a policeman with them. Six and Mono had been rushed to surgery but RG was being treated. One of the nurses explained that she was severely dehydrated with a few basic injuries. They were assured that none of them were serious enough to threaten her, though she was currently unconscious. Tsu remained at her side, sitting beside her gurney, holding her bandaged hand. Jirou and Deku were not allowed to view Mono and Six during surgery due to them not being related or legal guardians to the kids. Aizawa had shortly arrived afterwards. He checked on his students, got a detailed report from the police chief and settled on staying at the hospital, watching over all of his problematic children.

Hours sped by and eventually Six and Mono returned from surgery. Thankfully, they had been successful, so far. The doctors explained that they had to wait for more tests and more importantly, the kids to wake up. They were lucky enough that the three kids had been put in neighbouring rooms so the students were able to stay near each other.

Deku sat next to Mono. It was quiet. Aside from the soft rhythmic beeping of the boy's heart monitor. Each precious moment slipped by and moments turned to minutes. Minutes turned to hours. Deku had struggled to stay awake. He had an uncomfortable little chair pushed to the side of Mono's gurney. From there, he watched Mono's still face, alien tubes protruding from him. At first, Deku sat next to the boy, holding his hand, then he lent slightly over the gurney, arms and back sore and aching. Then that got uncomfortable so Deku resulted in resting his head on his arm and laying down on the bed. Deku gazed at Mono, wanting him to open his eyes but knew he couldn't do anything to make that happen. His thoughts got fuzzy and eyelids grew heavy, the lull of sleep promising to take him soon. Deku exhaled quietly, he felt a little better than he did a few hours ago, but not by much. With that final thought, Deku fell asleep, still lightly holding Mono's hand.

Aizawa walked through the hallway that housed the three rooms. He was going to round up his students and take them back but he had a feeling that they would be staying at the hospital for a while more, unwilling to leave their charges' sides. He peeked into Mono's room. The little boy remained unconscious, laid under the blanket with a flat pillow under his head. He was slightly surprised to see Midoriya doubled over the bed. He entered the room and heard the sound of him snoring faintly. A nurse had left a few extra blankets in the room in case of... Aizawa didn't know why, his mind could make up several guesses, each as possible as the last. He took one and wrapped it around the shoulders of his student. He left the room and continued to the next, Jirou's. He found her in a similar position as Midoriya. Aizawa sighed and groaned to himself. He might run out of blankets soon.