Chapter 32

(Seven's POV)

Kirishima opted to catch a ride in one of the police cars for Seven's sake. Now they found themselves racing down the roads.

"You remember what I told you?" Kirishima asked, glancing down at the kid sitting in his lap.

"I can't go in," Seven answered. He was staring out the window, watching the students make their way along with the cars. The ride was mostly quiet apart from the car's sirens but the air was thick with tension. Seven yet again found himself watching Deku and Bakugo use their quirks to run down the streets, keeping a similar speed of the police cars.

"Almost there!" The driver called, using the mirror to look at the two in his backseat.

"Thank you" Kirishima replied, finding himself staring out the window as well.

Soon the rest of the cars slowed to a stop outside an old looking building. It was boarded up pretty good but not perfectly, there were a few spots that someone could slip in through. Just after Kirishima and Seven got out of the car, ambulances began pulling up as well. The medics inside them got out and waited. The police banged on the door and there was a shuffling noise from inside. It was enough evidence to get the chief to kick down the door entirely. Two young men ran out in a panic and were quickly detained.

"Malakai's in there" the chief growled, eyeing the dark building.

"And the League of Villains!" One of the boys added, trying to make himself useful in attempt to get out of trouble.

"Dude! Shut up!" The other boy hissed.

"You heard him! Get in there!" The chief bellowed. A swarm of officers and students rushed in, Kirishima included. Seven stood by the car, blanket still around him, waiting. He felt unsure what to do as everyone around him ran around, each knowing their roles and how to execute them. He shuffled his feet, able to hear the chaos inside better than any of the adults around him. He couldn't wait to see everyone fine again and even considered running in after Kirishima but a loud and not so distant crash made him remember how stupid of an idea it was. Yet a part of him still felt tempted to do so. Now all he could do was wait.

"Why aren't the medics going in?" He asked no one in particular. They were waiting outside still, standing by their ambulances like he was by the car.

"They're not trained to handle villains, they have to wait until the bad guys are gone so they can enter safely" the driver of the car replied, startling Seven. He wasn't aware that he had stayed back.

"Why can't they train them?" Seven asked, turning to face the man. He was usually shy when talking to new people but this was a good distraction to keep him from bolting.

"Well, being a medic is hard. And so is being a police officer or hero. They can't do both at the same time" he chuckled. Seven scrunched his face in thought.

"Why is it hard to be a medic or hero?" He asked. The officer took a moment to think of a simple way to explain it to the child.

"Well.. you have to know a lot of things in both jobs and you'd have to be very good at both" he tried. Seven contimplated the new information.

"I.. think I understand" he muttered and gazed at the police man. At the boys silence and anxious looks at the building in front of them, the officer attempted to continue their conversation.

"Do you want to be a hero when you grow up?" He asked, it was a popular occupation and most kids Seven's age were set on achieving it. Instead the boys answer came as a bit of a surprise.

"Uh..I don't know. It seems really hard.." he replied unsure of himeself whilst not taking his eyes off the restaurant. Sensing the child's skidish-ness towards the building drove the police man to keep talking in order to keep him from running which he knew was a tempting option for the kid.

"Do you have any other ideas for what you'd like to do when you're older?" He asked. Seven thought, eventually tearing his gaze from the structure in favour of the ground. After a deep think, Seven came up blank. He shrugged his shoulders and turned to the man before him, signalling for the conversation to go on.

"That's okay, I didn't know what to do when I was your age either" he smiled kindly. "Is there a subject you really like at school? That's could help you narrow down what you'd like to do" he continued.

"I've never been to school" Seven said sadly. The officer was deciding whether to comment how lucky Seven was or to encourage him to get education but a loud bang from the restaurant made them both look back to it. The small sound of footsteps alerted the police man to Sevens current location. The young boy had given in to his anxiety and was running towards where the heros and police had entered. Thinking quickly, the officer dashed after him, surprised at the distance Seven had gained from just a second. Just as Seven began to duck down to fit through a small gap of wood, he was lifted from the ground quickly and slightly roughly. The officer sighed in relief, hoping that he hadn't hurt Seven too badly. Given the situation, he chose to aim for the fastest was to pick him up instead of most comfortable. Seven seemed to be in a state of daze as his chest heaved and eyes were wide, staring at nothing in particular.

"Seven? You okay?" The officer asked. At the sound of his name, Seven looked up to meet eyes with the man. He gave the slightest of nods and looked at the building, eyes still wide with an unreadable expression. It was almost as if Seven didn't realise that he had sprinted towards it and had most likely intended to enter it.

"Don't do that again, okay?" The officer said firmly but kept in mind how scared the child was. Seven didn't respond, a result from the stress and lack of sleep the child had endured over the past few hours. The man continued to hold the boy and carried him back to where they have previously conversing. Not wanting to chase the kid again in case of a similar incident, the man chose to keep holding the boy. Seven didn't seem to mind, his breathing was slowly returning to normal. They stood for a while longer before all hell broke loose.

———

I completely forgot to update this, sorry :(