Chapter 38

It appears I should stop promising no more janky chapters as, once again, this chapter came out much longer then I intended and became it's own chapter. I apologise, I'll do my best to prevent from doing so again but as we are nearing the end, things might be a little wonky

———

(Six's POV)

Six stirred. God, she was hungry. But that hadn't been what woke her up, not entirely anyway. A high pitched noise did. Ding it went. Ding ding ding-ding it kept ringing into something of an annoying cacophony. The annoyance soon turned to rhythms and melody. Metallically familiar and soothing. Each ding rang just long enough to create a blissful music, leading into another ding to continue it. Six enjoyed the noise. It made her happy but also sad. Like the music was telling her to remember something in the back of her head. A fuzzy, miserable memory. Six fought it for a while but she reluctantly concluded that she should.

Cold comfort. Six had been sad and developed a tendency to listen. That same sound gave her such joy but also reminded her harshly of where she was. Disruption. Every time she thought she could just give in and slip away into her music, something disturbed her. Someone. Someone who gave her more trouble than he was worth at times. Someone who got her in terrible problems. Someone who frustrated her for a plethora of reasons. Stubborn, naive, slow, selflessness..

Kind..

Smart..

Trustworthy..

Someone who always made her laugh. Someone who always saved her. Someone who gave her more joy and warmth and safety than any song could. Mono. Mono was her music, her comfort. The music box was just a distraction. A nice, familiar, effective one. But a distraction nonetheless. She needed Mono.

Her body hurt. It was sore in places she had never been sore before. Her chest was the main source of this pain. Breathing hurt, and it was only getting worse the longer she waited. Six needed to get up. Her eyelids refused to open so she was left blind. Fine, she didn't need to see, anyway! It felt as if waking up after a really long sleep, body vaguely numb and head blurry. Still, the young girl persevered, using the music to guide her.

Eventually, Six opened her eyes. Her vision was white with blurs. Sounds were muffled but her nose was unforgivingly acute. Disgusting chemicals overwhelmed her. Within the next few seconds, her vision cleared and she discovered that her eyes still only picked up white. The room she was in was white. A couple of splashes of other colours caught her eye. Blue floors, green plants, grey tin? Six looked closer to the little table next to her bed. It had been the tin playing the music, her music. It played almost the exact same song her old one did. It looked almost identical, too. The metal was new and free of rust. The handle spun on its own, the joints were smooth and didn't creak. The paint at the top was fresh and without chips missing from the old coats. The little markings of eyes had been added, but they felt different. Instead of a reminder of the nightmare running her world, the eyes seemed friendly, hand painted and given personality. Six liked the new look. It had a story but also told her of how far she'd come. Music still softly played but Six noticed something else. More like, something noticed her.

"Six?" Her someone called softly. Mono ran into the room and leapt from the floor to the bed, tackling her into a hug. His infamous 'I'm-so-glad-you're-okay!' Hug. This one was extra painful as her chest pain flared.

"Mono! You're - crushing - me" Six growled between gasps. Mono let go but kept his hand on hers.

"I'm so glad you're okay!" He smiled. Predictable, Six scoffed. He wasn't wearing his normal attire. Most notably, his bag was gone. His normal coat and 'fancy pants' outfit had been replaced by an itchy looking, long shirt. Six looked down at herself. She was wearing an itchy, long shirt as well. Six then noticed a thin tube-like thing poke into the back of her hand. She wasted no time yanking that out. A few other strange objects poked, prodded or stuck out of her. Six pulled them all off and a few beeps sounded a warning. An older woman entered the room quickly. She smiled at them.

"Oh good, you're awake" she said as someone else entered the room.

"Oh my God Six!" Jirou cried, rushing forwards to the girl. Six and Mono were hugged tightly but they secretly didn't all mind that much.

"Six I was so worried about you; don't ever scare me like that again - are you okay? Does anything really hurt? I'm so sorry! I never should have let this happen!" Jirou ranted, eyes checking every inch of her body. Six shrugged, mumbling something incoherent.

"How'd you do that?" Six asked, pointing to the music box. Jirou smiled shyly.

"Well, remember you told me about how it was your only thing? I wanted you to have something like that again. I used your drawing as a reference and, with the help of some Support students, I made that box. Mono helped me with the music part" Jirou explained, clearing up some questions Six had of Jirou's strange behaviour as of late. Six looked to Mono who smiled brightly and nodded in agreement.

"I told Jirou how your song sounds and she made this really cool cylinder-thing with little cogs on it and it-" Mono couldn't finish as Six tackled him into a hug. Six wasn't very good at 'thank yous' so this was their way of saying it.

"We should tell the others you're okay," Jirou said, turning towards the door.

Indeed, it did not take long for Six to be flooded with visitors. Mono, RG, Seven, the nome and Eri sat on the bed, talking happily. They were glad to be in each other's company again. Jirou and Mirio sat at either side of the bed, engaging in the kids' conversations. Deku, Kirishima and Tsu stood around the room, talking amongst themselves for the most part but always keeping their eyes on the bed. Bakugou and Aizawa waited outside. They couldn't be heard from inside the room but no one was sure they were even talking in the first place. The nurses were reluctant to let so many people in the one room and even more so at the sight of the nome. It was only let in because it scampered past security and snuck into Six's room, running away to hide if anyone entered. Here they stayed, for a long while. Six refused any nurse or doctor who asked to put in her IV, hook her to the heart monitor or whatever else they asked. She stubbornly stayed put on the bed, friends by her side as they formed a sort of protective pile. Giving up for now, the hospital staff let them be.

Six eventually came to learn that she had been unconscious for a day. She and Mono had a whole week left at the hospital (if things went well) before they could be discharged. RG just needed to stay one more night for 'observation'. Mono later explained to her it meant that they just wanted to make sure RG was really okay. Seven, Eri and the nome were sent back with Kirishima, Mirio, Bakugou and Aizawa. Deku, Tsu and Jirou spent the night at the hospital with them and promised to stay with them until they could leave. Six, RG and Mono begged to sleep in the same bed or at least the same room but having already let them slip past other rules that day, the nurses ushered everyone but Jirou out. The kids were disappointed but promised to be back in the morning, considering that Six couldn't move well and the other two were far more mobile. Secretly, Six knew Mono was also in a bit of pain.

Six slept easy that night, her music box finally back and in a much better way then she ever could have imagined.