Chapter 28

Trigger warnings for this chapter: slight injury detail/gore, drug/overdose imagery 

TL;DR will be at the end of the chapter

The first half of this chapter is pretty mild, the warnings are for the second part.

——— 

(Kirishima's POV)

Kirishima and Sero left the house they were at and walked across the street, Seven on Kirishima's back. The students had been instructed to go house to house and ask for witnesses. So far, no luck. Seven sighed again, slumping down on his guardians shoulders.

"You okay, Sev?" Kirishima asked, approaching the next house. Seven nodded sadly, unable to bring himself to talking anymore. He had known his friends for a week but wasn't ready to lose them. Sero gave him a concerned look but said nothing as he knocked on the door. A woman answered.

"Sorry, I'm not interested-" she said as she began to close the door.

"Oh, no, ma'am. We aren't trying to sell you something. We're looking for some missing children" Sero quickly corrected. The woman opened the door more, allowing them to continue.

"Did you notice a white van a few hours ago drive through here?" Kirishima asked. The woman thought before shaking her head slightly.

"No, I'm afraid not" she replied.

"Okay, did you see three children, 6 years old around this tall, nearby?" Sero said, measuring up to his hip. The woman glanced up to the small boy on one of the men's shoulders, noticing the similar height. She realised he and the missing kids must have known each other. She cast him a sad look and he stared at the floor.

"Maybe, the markets have brought lots of kids down around these parts" she stated, turning back to the teenagers.

"They would have been wearing raincoats or a brown coat" Seven quipped, hopefully. The woman thought again and her eyes lit up.

"I did see them! A while ago. They were running, I just thought they were playing" she gasped, upset that she hadn't done anything to save them. Sero and Kirishima lit up.

"Did you see which way they were going?" Sero asked. The woman nodded and pointed down the street. They bowed to her and thanked her repeatedly. Kirishima made sure not to drop Seven as he did, but the boy also thanked the woman. She smiled at them and they set off, calling in to the rest of the class and policemen to let them know the new information.

Using the direction the lady gave them, the students and Seven were able to follow it and got more and more witnesses. Some had said they saw Seven and his friends run by, others mentioned seeing the white van speeding past and one man even had cameras that he was able to show the footage from. The students had been relaying this information back to the police who were slowly closing the perimetre of possible Malakai locations. Seven was growing more hopeful every second. He might actually get to see his friends again. His hope was contagious as Sero and Kirishima headed to the next house.

A predictable conversation played out of the young man inside claimed to hear a commotion a few hours ago and saw a white van drive past. The students thanked him and left, calling in to tell the police of the new witness.

"How long will it take to find them?" Seven asked.

"Not long, but when we find their hideout, you'll have to stay with the police, okay?" Kirishima answered.

"Okay" Seven agreed but did a double take of Kirishima's words. Hideout? Like a hideaway? But they were supposed to be safe? Rooms that others had found and secured for anyone who might pass by in need of a break. Or 'breather' as Flashlight once put it. Seven didn't know what that meant but he didn't know lots of things Flashlight did. Determination filled him. He lost Flashlight, he wasn't going to lose any more friends!