27🔸Dear Panchal

Draupadi

Draupadi

"What's wrong?" Arjun pressed as I swiftly wipe the tears before looking up at him, throwing a tight smile on my face.

"Nothing" I cleared my throat "Sorry, you were right. I really need to watch my steps or else I'll soon be covered in bruises" As I chuckled at my own possible 'joke' I felt pathetic and halted eventually, averting my eyes.

I jolted a little when all of a sudden Arjun's fingers enclosed my wrist before lugging me along.

"What are you doing?" I panicked and started twisting my wrist to liberate myself from his hold but in vein, he was too strong for me to do that.

"Arjun!" I warned "Either tell me where you're taking me or I'll just sit right here, on this ground"

"Then I'll carry you" Came his short, flat reply.

"You won't dare" I challenged but my voice lacked the confidence I aimed for, I knew as long as his brothers or mother weren't here, he wouldn't hesitate.

"Try me" He side glanced at me, the corner of his lips curved in a sly smirk.

Heaving a sigh of defeat, I stopped struggling, letting him take me wherever he wanted to. I really didn't have the strength to argue with him, I was too drained for that. The fact that it was my last day at Panchal, last day with my parents, with my friends, my pet birds was piercing my heart ruthlessly like the edge of a sharp knife, making it difficult for me to even breath without feeling its sting and on top of it, my brother's insouciance wasn't really helping.

Finally after awhile he stopped. Looking around frantically, I realized it was my own personal garden. Arjun made me sit on my swing near the small pond that my father had made for me, before kneeling on the ground, near my feet.

"Tell me what happened" He almost demanded emitting a small chortle from me.

"You're stubborn" Raising my hand I ruffled his unkempt luscious curls but wavered realising what I just did.

Heat rushed into my cheeks as I tried taking it away but he placed his hand on top of mine with his selcouth golden orbs beguiling my soul.

"Remember what I told you?" He husked "There shouldn't be any restriction between a husband and wife"

The transient elysian moments Maa Gauri had blessed us with right after my Swayamvar, floated before my eyes. Our serendipitous union, his gleeful attempt to hide his identity just to mess with me, my desperate attempt to not express exactly how enamoured I was by that stranger Brahmin, thinking I would get a lifetime to do that.

A lifetime?

I snorted mentally, how credulous I had been to think life would always be that serene, that exuberant and simple, that I would get to love and adore him however and whenever I would want,that I would remain only his and he mine. After that couple of hours in the woods, we barely spent any time together without worrying about the rules, the restrictions and what other would think. It had been all too formal, too meek.