34🔸Ruptured

Draupadi

Draupadi

"Pardon me your grace but Prince Arjun doesn't wish to see anyone"' There was firmness in that courteous tone of the guard whose spear was intercepting me from entering in my husband's chamber.

My gaze prolonged on the sharp blade for a fickle moment before I brought it back to the middle aged guard, my lips curling in a polite smile "I believe I'm not 'anyone' to Prince Arjun" with a more fierceness in my voice I enunciated "I am his wife"

He looked unprepared to defend my very simple statement, as I watched him struggle for a good reply that would prevent me from entering in his Prince's room.

"Well?"

"But his order-"

"I'll take care of it" I assured through my eyes "Now if you please let me pass"

They exchanged a defeated glance before stepping aside while sighing in dismay. The wooden door made a creaking sound as the guards pushed it open.

Giving them a thankful smile I entered in the private room of the third Pandava who came back triumph this morning, while they closed the door behind me. Soon the now familiar maddening scent of honey and spice greeted my nostrils, filling my senses.

The room was bleak, cold and utterly dark with the only source of light being the dim silver rays of the half moon peering through the white curtain that divided the room from the terrace. As I slowly strode ahead, the tinkling sound of my payal echoed in the silent room.

Placing the plate of food and bowl of ointment down on a table, I went near his bed and lightened up few oil lamps. And my eyes finally found what it was yearning for. I let my parched eyes drink his tempting sight. The scintillating moon light shone against his bronzed skin while the soft spring breeze kept messing with his unkempt curls. As my eyes fell a little lower, my heart twisted painfully noticing the huge and quite deep cut across his chest and it still appeared fresh.

Closing my eyes, I sucked in a sharp breath. Walking closer I kneeled on the marble floor before dipping a piece of soft clothe in the bowl of cold water I had brought along and starting to clean the wound.

But before the clothe could touch his body, Arjun's hand that was playing with the jasmine flowers caught hold of my wrist making a gasp of nonplus escaped my mouth.

"What are you doing here?" Were the first words my husband used for me after three months of separation.

I tried to free my wrist off of his grasp but in vein as he sat upright "Krishnaa, I don't know how they let you in but I would like to be alone"

His words felt like burning slaps across my face. I tried to mask the tribulation his words had caused as I lifted my eyes letting our heated gazes collide. Those
melting golden orbs were bereft of their usual vibrancy, they rather appeared hollow, so much so that they almost seemed unfamiliar.