40🔸Khandavprasth

Draupadi

Draupadi

Khandavprasth was just like a newborn child. So brittle yet so full of hope. At least to me it was. Unlike most of my family members, I fell in love with this barren godforsaken land at the very first sight.

The monotony of this parched wilderness provided me a sense of ataraxia something that the luxurious palace of Hastinapur failed. Hastinapur was unendurably suffocating, it never felt like home but this place did. My Khandavprasth did.

My Khandavprasth, Indeed

It might be the eldest Pandav's kingdom but it was my child, a child I was nourishing with all the warmth my heart held. It had been three months that we arrived here and since then I started waking up before everyone did, and slept after everyone.

Some of the buildings of the royal palace were still under construction. Time seemed to pass way too quickly here, there's always something that needs to be looked after but today I was finding it hard to even breath properly.

The coveted cousin of Pandavs, dearest nephew of Mata Kunti and the person I formerly considered my friend ; Krishna of Dwarka had graced Khandavprasth.

Former because he didn't bother greeting me for once since he arrived and it had already been two hours. Govind was my friend before he became their cousin but  people were right when they say blood is thicker than water

A yawn escaped my mouth as I pushed the door of my chamber with my eyelids feeling heavy from the exhaust. Before I could shut my mouth my eyes landed on a certain peacock feathered crown resting on the table near the couch.

My eyes drifted from the crown to the person owned it. He was laying on the couch, his head resting on his left hand and another hand holding the apple he was devouring. His lotus eyes fluttered open and he immediately sat up, his lips curved, His smile was like a sudden beam of sunlight illuminating the darkest corners of the room.

There was something enigmatic about Govind. Just one look at him and one was bound to forget all their anguish, misery and suffering. Sometimes when I looked at him I felt there was no such thing as anguish existed, just pure joy.

"Since the Queen of Khandavprasth is too busy to find any time for her friend, I decided to greet you myself" He accused in his honeyed voice earning a glare from me

"Really?" I asked incredulously while advancing toward him "I waited three hours at the entrance to welcome you only to know you were already welcomed by your cherished cousin midway and asked us to have our lunch because you two needed to breath in fresh air, an air Draupadi doesn't breath in"

"Now this is what I call exaggeration" He sighed "It was just a coincident and you should blame your husband"

I couldn't help but let out a dry chuckle as I took a sit beside him "Blame whom? My husband whom I haven't even seen in months?"