51🔸Homecoming

Third Person

Third Person

The once barren Khandavprasth was bedecked like a new bride to welcome its heroic Prince. Every street of the kingdom rejoiced the upcoming event as the Queen mother of the land announced a Shiv-Shakti puja that to be conducted fortnight from the day her third son arrives, all the relatives of the Pandava family were invited making it grand in every way. All citizen of the land would be donated with gold and lavish clothes on that day.

"My Phalgun has went through a lot of troubles" Kunti expressed her concern while selecting clothes for her niece "But Uma-Maheshwar have returned him safely now it's time for us to honour them"

"I also wish to go through all those 'troubles', Mata" Bheem who came there with two plates of sweets that he made for his brother who would arrive in a short while, winked at Nakul who tried to suppress his chortle.

"Really Arya?" Balandhara asked incredulously while arranging the Aarti thaali to welcome the new couple making her sisters in law giggle.

"Bhabhi, rest assured my brother is too busy experimenting new sweets and eating them all by himself to have any time for anything else in life" Nakul jested while Bheem grabbed his hair

"I'm letting you go only because I want Phalgun to meet all his brothers alive" Bheem stated before leaving his hair. Nakul immediately ran his fingers through his and peeped at the mirror to see his hairstyle got ruined or not.

"Hey Mahadev!" Kunti placed her hand on her temple "Yudhishthir and Sahdev are already at the entrance, Nakul shouldn't you be with them?" She then turned to Bheem "And you know Phalgun doesn't like sweets then why did you make all these? I've already asked Panchali..." Kunti trailed off, her eyes roved around the hall "Speaking of whom, where is Draupadi?"

"Yes Mata?" Answered the appealing voice of Krishnaa Yajnaseni drawing Kunti's attention and there she stood.

The Queen of Khandavprasth appeared, looking strikingly beautiful as always. Her face was bereft of any reaction yet Kunti could see the layer of unsettling emotions in her lotus like eyes. Unlike others she did not deck herself up for the special occasion, she was wearing one of those simple saris that she wore after coming back from the royal court while looking after the kitchen arrangement or feeding her sons.

Since the moment the news of Arjun's marriage with Subhadra came, she had been acting differently. Almost as if someone had sucked life out of her, as if there was no place for joy in her life. Even though by nature Draupadi was a bit stern but never lifeless.

Kunti suddenly felt a motherly urge to hug her and tell everything was alright. Her daughter in law without whom this Pandav family could never function even for a second, who as a mere teenager came to their lives holding the hand of her third son and blessed them with her fortune was suffering the same pain Kunti had gone through when her husband brought Madri except hers was way more potent.