33🔸of Devotion and love

Draupadi

Draupadi

"That would be enough"

My voice made Kuhu halt in her track as I watched her knitting brows in dismay through the mirror "But you didn't even wear any ornament, at least let me do your hair properly"

"Im not the new bride, Kuhu" I rose on my feet while fixing my small nose ring properly.

"And?" Kuhu pressed "You're a princess, you can't just not wear ornaments"

"Ku—"

"Hail Princess Draupadi" An unfamiliar voice cut me off. I swiveled my head and saw a maid standing at my door as she resumed  "Princess Valandhara wishes to visit your chamber"

Briskly masking the surprise I nodded "Send her in"

After few moments the Princess of Kashi made her way into my chamber.  In her red lehenga, bangles and forehead smeared with vermillion, she appeared absolutely radiant. Her black long braid was resting on her right shoulder as she played with its edge all while a nervous smile playing across her visage.

Halting a few feet away from me she joined her palms "Pranipat"

"Pranipat Princess Valandhara" I flashed her an apologetic smile "I'm sorry I couldn't be there to receive you when you arrived"

"Oh it's absolutely alright" She waved her hand "I was sleeping myself when we arrived" She let out a soft giggle.

"Would you like to have something? Some sweets may be?"

"Arya Bheem made me eat so many sweets from the day of my Swayamvar that the very mention of it now makes me gag"

I couldn't help but burst out laughing "I can understand. Thankfully, I was very clear about my eternal rivalry with sweets from the very begining"

She smiled and opened her mouth to say something before shutting it abruptly, I saw a hint of hesitation flickering across her brown orbs "Can I call you Panchali? It's just you're—you know wife of my younger brothers in law and..." She faltered.

Unlike Duryodhan's there was no mockery in her voice just plain curiosity and I absolutely understood why "Of course you can"

Valandhara grinned, placing a hand on mine "Thank you. You're probably younger than me so it would have been weird calling you 'didi', I—"

She halted when her eyes landed on something behind me, her eyes widened slightly while her lips parted. Following her gaze, I turned my head, my breath hitched when my eyes landed on the piercing painted ambers.

I didn't just forget to cover my paintings once again!

Before I could do or say anything Valandhara was on her feet as she ejaculated "Did you paint it?"