part twenty seven

⇆ㅤ ||◁ㅤ❚❚ㅤ▷||ㅤ ↻

Happiness is a butterfly

Lana Del Rey

The night was paler than usual. The stars were unseen by the eye through the misty fog that was collecting in the air that night.

Riley giggled happily as Sam mumbled on awkward jokes as the two of them sat in the car. Sam had one hand on the wheel and the other on his girlfriend's thigh, rubbing his thumb on her unconsciously. Riley had no idea where the two of them were going, it was Sam's little surprise.

Riley hadn't told him about her situation, she wasn't ready. Though she feared what his reaction might be. The two of them really liked each other, they even told one another. But she didn't know how he would feel about it. She was worried.

He drove gently on the straight road until they stopped near the woods. He took the car in a secluded patch of grass, evergreen trees on each side surrounding this pasture with a gentle breeze blowing on their leaves. Though it was nighttime, the clouds were present in the sky making it even more private.

"Is this the surprise?" Riley frowned.

"The surprise is yet to come." Sam smiled and leaned in to kiss her lips. His sudden gesture made her falter for a moment, she kissed him back and smiled through his lips.

Sam took her smile as a motive to keep going, he wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her closer. Riley was slightly hesitant, she didnt want to do this right now.

He placed his hand on her cheek kissed her intently, though it felt as it Riley wasn't responding. He pulled her closer trying to tell her she's safe, yet the kiss still felt forceful.

He pulled away with their lips brushing with one another. "Are you okay?" He asked worried moving away further.

"What do you mean I'm fine." Riley responded casually, already feeling the overwhelming urge to tell him come up to the brim.

"Riley don't say that. You've been acting weird all week. Is something wrong?" He asked taking her hand and squeezing it.

There was silence.

He looked at her anticipating an answer. Riley only stared down at her lap, she felt a sudden burning rise in her stomach, a feeling she wanted to escape but was afraid to let out. She wanted to tell, him she had too.

Sam didn't disrupt the silence, he waited patiently for her answer. Whatever it was, he knew she needed room to say it.

"I'm pregnant."

His heart stopped.

His stomach dropped.

He felt a sudden bead of perspiration drop down his forehead, his mouth was wide open as he struggled to find air.

Sam's hand left Riley's, his head fell into his grip and he rubbed his eyes.

Riley sat there saying nothing. What could she say after all? She felt a bundle of thorns in the middle of her throat, one that kept poking her insides and urging her to cry. But she didn't cry, her eyes went red but she didn't cry, she promised herself she wouldn't let out a single tear.

Sam sat there in silence, staring in front of him. He took a deep breath and without saying anything, Sam started the car and drove back to Riley's house.

The two of them didn't say a word, there was an unspoken tension, a fear that the other might let loose and cry. Sam stopped in front of her house and pressed the button to unlock the doors.