part thirty five

⇆ㅤ ||◁ㅤ❚❚ㅤ▷||ㅤ ↻

Stargazing

The Neighbourhood

"Hello?"

There was silence.

Sauce didn't answer and stared awkwardly at May who was biting her lip and playing with her fingers while Sauce sat completely still and rigid. She gulped and said:

"Hello." A low sigh escaped her lips, one that the person on the other end of the phone wouldn't hear. Her sister didn't respond for a few moments until she mumbled in a confused tone.

"I'm sorry who is this? Who do you want to talk too?"

Sauce glanced at May again and spoke up hesitantly.

"It's me, Sauce. I want to talk to you. I need to talk to Sierra Coleman."

Sierra was silent. She didn't speak but both the girls could hear her heavy sigh and Sauce could picture the image of unexpected shock on her face. She imagined Sierra would be sitting in her small yet homey apartment in New York, or somewhere in the middle of the big city. She imagined her minimalistic white walls and her light pink decor with maybe a few potted plants or succulents here and there. She visioned a small living space with a grey couch and two pictures hanging above it, both of her two favourite designs that Sierra had designed as a child. There would be a white table in front of it with a silver bowl in the middle for keys or candy, perhaps some original caramel toffee. This setup would be right in front of the television where her favourite sitcoms and fashion shows would play all day long and she'd watch them every night before sleep with a bag of crisps in her lap. It would be a one bedroom apartment and the bed sheets would be white with maybe a few pastel coloured pillows. She expected Sierra to be quite rich by now, not from their parents money but by her own hard work. She always imagined Sierra to get a small apartment because her sister never really liked the big mansions, there would pieces of threads and colourful cloth scattered on the floor and all across the apartment, scissors for cutting and machines for sewing would be placed in a corner where she thought Sierra would spend most of her time.

But now she could only see the regretful, maybe guilty picture of her sister sitting on her sewing chair, maybe on her grey couch faced towards the paused television that must have been playing the night's runway fashion show.

Sauce wasn't one to ponder upon things too much, or to get lost in imagination. Though having lived without her sister for so long, she couldn't help but wonder what her life must be like.

"Um are you there?" Sauce initiated worriedly, hoping that this wasn't a terrible mistake.

"Yeah I just- " Sierra stopped.

"How are you?" She asked in a shaky breath, maybe while scratching her forehead or with wide eyes staring at the ground.

"Good." Sauce replied and smiled, there was a comforting feeling coming from her sisters voice. She had heard it after so many years, it felt like home. It felt like the memories she had with her, and the memories she could have had. She was that one person who could understand the pressure of their family, the one person she was close too.

"That's great." Sierra replied and Sauce could picture an awkward smile on her lips. "Why did you need to talk to me? Is everything alright?"

"Yes, everything's good." She lied, not speaking of the minor detail that she was currently homeless, kicked out and living with her friend. 

"Hey I'll tell you what. Let's meet." Sierra suggested and both of their eyebrows shot up and the two girls stared back at each other. May began nodding hysterically and Sauce licked her lips.