ii. guilty conscious

________________________________________

BITTERSWEET
:: ii. | guilty conscious

"Morning, kiddo." Vanessa walked into the kitchen, greeting her daughter who at their small table finishing her homework.

Cole just smiled up at her mom, before quickly looking down to finish her homework. She hoped badly that her mom knew nothing about last night, the girls and the apparent police officer. She tapped her pencil on the table before putting the eraser in her mouth. She looked up at her mom who was fixing cereal for them.

"Hey, mom? I was wondering if dad could come by tonight? Your staying late at work and so I thought—" She spoke so innocently.

Vanessa cut her off, "We talked about this. No. I don't want him here." Vanessa picked up both the bowls and carried them to the small kitchen table. Once Vanessa sat down, Cole stood up. "Not hungry?"

"Lost my appetite." Cole continued to put her things in bag as Vanessa began to eat. Once Cole finished packing, she made her way out the kitchen and to the front door but before she could even open it, her mother called out.

"Hold, up!" Vanessa walked behind her and Cole turned around, "You gonna tell me why you have a busted lip and uh— " Vanessa licked her thumb then wiped her daughter's cheek removing some foundation, "Purple cheek?"

Cole shrugged, "I ran into a pole."

"Really?" Vanessa rose her brows, she could tell her daughter was lying but if cole wasn't ready to talk then she wasn't ready to talk yet— so she let it slide.

"Yeah." Cole nodded.

"Ok, kiddo. See you later." Vanessa grabbed her daughter's head and kissed the top.