viii. bleeding hearts

________________________________________

BITTERSWEET
:: viii. | bleeding hearts

It's been twelve hours since everyone was saved, technically. Vanessa was admitted to the hospital and Jennifer has been by her side ever since. She found where Cole was and knowing that she's safe, kept jj at ease while she was by Vanessa's side.

Vanessa was just taken into surgery because apparently the bullet is very deep, so they need to go in to pull it out. As much as jj wanted to be with team, she couldn't. So she ask Hotch if she could stay with Vanessa until she was better and able to go home.

As Vanessa was being saved, Miguel was still in custody. He was back at the BAU in the interrogation room. He knew how bad it looked but he wasn't talking. One, he had guys to protect and two, if he spoke, it would get him in more trouble. So he kept his mouth shut, knowing well he was going down anyway.

"He's not budging Hotch." Morgan told his superior.

"Because he knows either way he's being charged." Hotch replied.

The two agents stood there, staring at him through the glass. They wondered how someone so big on family and love, could be someone like Miguel? Not once did he ask about Cole or Vanessa's wellbeing and that's what scared them.

• • •

After about an hour, Vanessa was finally taken out of surgery and jj was allowed to see her. She quickly rushed to the room and found her awake. Vanessa was a bit drowsy but in a good head space. Jj sat beside her bed and slightly smiled at her.

"Hey . . "

"Hi." She groaned, "What happened?"

Jj seemed a bit concerned, "You don't remember anything?"

She shook her head, "Not after I got shot. It's all a haze." Vanessa looked around, "Where's Cole?"

"She's with her friend." Jj told her.

" . . . What happens now?"

"Miguel's still in custody. It's not looking good." Jennifer sighed.

Vanessa's head met her palm, "How bad?"

Jj mumbled, "Drug possession."

The conversation soon fell silent. Vanessa stared off into space and jj kept her eyes on her. She was trying to get a read on of how she was feeling. All there wanted to do was keep her safe and help her get through this tough time that surfaced in her life.

• • •

Cole was laying on the couch in the living room of Mia's parents' house. She woke up around four in the morning and came downstairs, she couldn't go back to sleep. Apparently Mia's parents were out of town as of yesterday morning, so there was nothing to worry about except cole's welling.

Of course Mia was freaking out a little that she didn't see Cole when she woke up, but her heart calmed when she got downstairs and found her asleep on the couch. She knew her parents would ask why she skipped school that day but she didn't care as long as Cole was safe . . . safe with her.

After brewing some coffee in the kitchen, she poured some in a cup for her and Cole. She made her way to the couch and placed the filled coffee cups on the table in front of her. She then sat down and lightly shook Cole awake. After a moment, Cole's eyes fluttered open and she sat up, next to Mia.

"I woke up and you were gone." Mia, reached for the coffee cup and passed it to Cole. She then grabbed the other cup and sipped the coffee.

"Couldn't sleep, so I watched a little tv." Cole shrugged.

Mia turned to her, "So what exactly happened?"

Cole's head started immediately replaying everything that happened only a couple of hours ago. She didn't really want to talk about it, she just wanted to sit there in quiet. "Don't want to talk about it."

"Well you know I'm here —" Mia placed her hand on cole's thigh, "Always."

Cole lightly smiled and looked at Mia's hand that rested on her thigh. She wanted it to stay there which she didn't understand why but she thought maybe cause they were so close and Mia's always been there for her and she felt this comfort with her. Whatever it was . . she didn't want to explore it. She wasn't sure what it was anyway.

 She wasn't sure what it was anyway

a/n:
act one is almost over !!