Chapter 5

Jocelyn's POV

When he said. "however...." I knew that he wouldn't give me the job. Jamal Leicester is another biased racist.

What's happening? Did they announce globally that blacks shouldn't be given respectable jobs anymore? Why am I frustrated?

I don't waste my breath on him because there's no need to. I collect my documents and leave his office. I enter the elevator with sadness boldly written on my face. It takes me to the last floor, where I meet Mrs. Bertha. She's working on her laptop when she shifts her gaze to my front as I walk by.

I want to walk fast because I can't take another white who would stare at me like I am lesser than them. I wouldn't be able to keep my tongue in check. I was surprised when she stopped me.

"Hey dear, he didn't recruit you, right?" She asks. I stop and turn around to her.

"Yes, he didn't," with my drooping face.

"I handpicked your resume myself and knew you'd be of greater advantage to the company, but he's the boss. He has the final say. You could try out other companies," She completes her sentence.

At least there's someone who doesn't hate blacks in the world. I told her thanks and bid her goodbye. It's 3 pm when I look at my wristwatch.

I'm lost on how to spend the remainder of my day. I resolve to go home and rest. I hail a taxi and tell him my destination, and I hop into his cab. I plug in my earphones to listen to music. I need to brighten up my mood. It's a rejection, not a death notice.

Jobs are hard to come by, but I would find one. I would have done adequate research into all these companies before applying, but my stepfather spoiled my plans.

Why do men keep on disappointing me? My boyfriend at the university also did the same. Sebastian, whom I thought loved me, was a flirt who chased anything in skirts.

Little did I know that he dated me over a bet. I learned from gossip that he and his friends had a chance over who would get me first. I was after my good grades, so I didn't have enough time for a guy, but Sebastian charmed me off my feet. No wonder I was blind to his faults. I was attracted to a guy for the first time.

The day I found out, I went to his house to confront him on the allegations, only to meet the shock of my life. Sebastian and my friend Ruby were having sex. I had a key to his apartment. He gave me that when we first started dating. I thought a guy giving me the key to his apartment meant that he trusted me and had no secrets to hide.

"Jerk!" I curse as I relive that day.

Sebastian, that calculating son of a bitch knew I wouldn't have the time for his apartment that often, so I played right into his hands. This key wasn't valuable until that day. I couldn't contain my rage when I heard the gossip after trying his number. I went to his house when he didn't return my calls. I let myself into the apartment when I heard moans.

I couldn't believe my ears. In order not to draw much attention, I tiptoed to his room. I stopped dead when I saw a sandal like Ruby's. I still didn't believe it. I saw their clothes on the chair. It looked like they couldn't even wait to get their hands on each other. Nothing prepared me for the next shock.

I moved towards the bedroom to discover my friend Ruby below Sebastian. The funny sounds they were making disgusted me so much that I screamed.

"You scumbag!" Their attention was drawn to me. Ruby's eyes widened.

She quickly used the bedsheet to cover her nakedness while Sebastian approached me, trying to explain whatever.

"Babe, it's really...." I slapped him so much force that my imprints showed on his face.