Chapter 99

JOCELYN'S POV

Life seems to be getting better now. Things are going well between Julian and me, and this morning, I resumed work at his company.

   A few people who recognized me as the interviewee who didn't get a job— especially the secretary, were shocked to see me walking beside Julian with a smile on our faces.

   Well, I am as shocked as she is. I also didn't expect things to take this turn. Maybe I had to experience all the bad things I participated in in the past with Julian and Marcel to get here.

   I mean, take a look at Julian. He's so lovely to me. He opens the door for me and ensures that I feel comfortable.

   If someone told me months ago that Julian was this way, I would have laughed so hard in disbelief.

   But here we are.

   I am seated before him at his desk, watching as he rummages through his drawer. Finally, he stops and sighs before taking a key and flashing it in my face.

   "I asked my janitor to keep the key to your new office here. Though he didn't do that,"

   "New office?" I ask. My voice is laced with slight confusion and daze. "I thought I'd start by working at the cubicles with the others?"

   "I won't let my woman do that,"

   "Woman?" Well, this morning is full of surprises. He looks at me and laughs.

   "Isn't that what you are?"

   "I mean, things are quite rushed, but I get you,"

   "Rushed? I think we had this coming a long time ago, for real,"

   "What are you talking about, Julian McCartney?"

   He chuckled and played with the tip of his pen. "I know this might sound weird, but I was attracted to you the first day I saw you. Well, things went down the way they did because of my hate for... You know what I am talking about,"

   I nod. "Well, this is quite unexpected,"

   "You can't say you weren't attracted,"

   I roll my eyes at him. "What makes you think that?"

   "Because I am fucking attractive. You can't deny it. That night, our first time? I knew it. It was obvious that you had wanted that to happen for a long time," When he saw the look on my face, he burst into laughter. "Don't look like that. It's not a bad thing to be attracted to me. I look so good."

   "You're so cocky. It's terrible."

   He pats the lapel of his thin-striped suit, which he probably got for several thousand dollars, with pride. "I pride it in, Jocelyn. Also, did I tell you how beautiful you look this morning?"

   I zip up my bag, and with a nod, I reply to him. "Yes, you did. You also tried to ruin my lipstick. I worked so hard to make it look so perfect,"

   "I love it when you look good for me. Turns me on in ways you can't imagine,"

   I can't help it. Julian is so hilarious. He doesn't even have to try. My frown dissipates, and I burst into laughter.

   My phone beeps with a text from an unknown number. For a moment, my heart skips.

   I take a while before opening the text, hoping it's not some threat I have nothing to do with in there. Julian and his friends have been getting several weird texts over the past few days.

   When I open it, I, first of all, breathe out a sigh of relief before letting anger consume me.

    Honey, it's your mother whom you have ignored for a while now. I don't know why you're still mad at me. I'm still here if you want to talk. And congratulations on your new job.

   I look up to Julian. He cocks his head to the side in askance. "Is something wrong?"

   "Uhm, did you, by any chance, speak to my mum?"

   "Yes, I did," He said and took out his phone. "I got a text from an unknown number. I thought it was from Vito or whoever worked for him, but it was from your mum. She asked about you, and I told her you were good. Are you bothn't on good terms? She sounds like she wants to settle things with you. Well, I gave her our address, and she said she was going to visit later this week,"

   "What?" I ask in surprise. "You shouldn't have!"

   He looks more confused. "Why? She's your mother. Or is there something you aren't telling me,"

   Sighing, I nod. "It's just really complicated between me and her, Julian,"

   His face melts. "Come here, sweetie,"

   His calling me names makes me so vulnerable, like he adds charms to his words. Pushing my seat back, I go over to where he is seated. He draws me into his lap and wraps an arm around my waist.

   He begins to stroke softly and comfortingly. "You can talk to me, you know? Tell me what's wrong if you want,"

   "My mother has never really been a mother figure in my life. She's self-centered and cares about no one but herself and her selfish desires. She always comes first, and now I want the same for myself. She comes back and thinks she can waltz into my life just like that,"

   Julian begins to stroke my hair gently. He doesn't speak the whole time I am talking, and when I am done, he kisses me in the temple.

   "It's sad how our own family can also be shitty. That doesn't mean we get to forgive them. If you want her out of your life, you should do it. Don't worry, and I'll text her and tell her not to visit again. If that makes you feel better?"

   I shake my head. "Don't worry. I'll see her this once. Maybe telling her to her face would make her believe I am serious. I want to be done with her once and for all."

   He takes my hand in his and squeezes it. "I am here. Whenever you need me, okay?"

   "Sometimes, I don't believe you are this sweet and nice. I've been introduced to the shitty you that makes it impossible to believe you're being this sweet to me."

   He buries his head into my neck and smiles. "You made me want to become a better person, Jocelyn. With you, I want to be the best version of myself, and it's fucking beautiful."