Chapter 33

Julian's POV

I'm asleep when I hear my phone beep. It doesn't wake me up at first but then, it comes in again and I wonder who might be texting me at this time of the night so I sit up and bend over to pick up my phone charging on the bedside table.

"Adelaide? Why is she calling me at this time?" Sighing, I pick up the phone.

"What's the problem this time? Did she take her medications?"

Adelaide's voice is really low as she speaks like she doesn't want anyone to hear her voice. I wonder why she's sounding that way. "Yes, she did,"

"Then, why are you calling me at this time? Remember it's midnight?"

"Well, it's quite important. Very important. Your mother has been crying since the clock struck twelve,"

Frowning, the sleep leaves my eyes. "Why? What's wrong with her? Is she having one of her episodes?"

"Yes, she is. But this one is more intense. Today is your father's remembrance."

My blood runs cold and I can feel my palm sweat against the skin of my left thigh. I totally forgot that today is his memorial. Not like I care.

The only thing that makes me remember is my mum as she is always crying on that day. I totally forgot. Well, because I already locked him up somewhere I never want to open. He doesn't matter to me any longer and honestly, all I want to do right now is end this call and go back to sleep but I know I have to call my mother to know what's wrong with her.

I sigh. "Thanks for the information. I'll call her as soon as I am done, "

"No!" She protests immediately. "Don't call her. I don't think she wants you to be aware that she's not feeling alright. Besides, someone already took control of everything and she's quite alright now,"

My worry is replaced by curiosity. "Who might that be?"

"Jocelyn. She's the new maid and your mother has taken a great liking to her. They're already as close as ever so she knows what best to do."

"My mother is showing interest in another woman? Is there something I don't know? She keeps talking about a certain woman,"

"Nothing like that! It's strictly platonic, Julian. Why would you think that?"

"I'm just wondering. Everyone keeps talking about her."

"She's just someone Leela thinks is really amazing. Infact, she's the one organizing dinner tomorrow and I think she's quite good at what she does,"

Immediately, my curiosity sparked up. "Hm, she sounds interesting. Do you think I'll like her?"

Adelaide is silent for a long time. But then she coughs and replies really calmly. "I hope you do,"

"It seems like she's fine. I'll go to bed, then."

"Will you be coming tomorrow?"

"Of course, Adelaide. Why?" I sound exasperated now.

"I'm sorry if I'm talking too much. It's just that I don't want you to miss dinner tomorrow. Your mother is going to be really upset. Her temper is going to be really delicate tomorrow and she would love you to be there. Y'know, put her in check,"

Sighing, I lay back on my bed. "Alright, then. I've heard. Have a good night's sleep."

I immediately end the call before she says anything again. Adelaide never knows when to stop talking. She's usually really stoic around people she doesn't know but she's really talkative. Always fishing for conversation.

And as for whatever she told me, I am too sleepy to even think about it so I flop into my bed and sleep off immediately.

Leela's POV

I can't seem to find sleep no matter how hard I try. I've been tossing about in bed to no avail. I can't stop thinking about my late husband and somehow, I blame myself for setting up the dinner party for tonight. I must have totally forgotten that I didn't remember today was his memorial.

Sighing, I sit up. People are going to talk about it even knowing fully well that we went through a divorce. People never really know when to keep shut. That's the problem. Suddenly, I can't believe I'm inviting a bunch of people who aren't even my friends. People I don't know. People who don't care if certain conversations are a no-go area for you. They just speak and don't even gauge your reaction.

Suddenly, I want to cancel the party. I know I have to. I have to speak to Jocelyn about it. I hope she's not asleep.

I throw on my shawl and leave my room, padding my foot on the cold marble floor of the corridor. I knock on the door of her room but no reply comes. So I open it a little to see that it's empty. She's probably in her bathroom. I'll wait for her but first, I have to get water from the kitchen. Adelaide probably forgot to bring my water.

Getting to the gallery, I find Jocelyn sitting on one of the sofas. She's working quite seriously on her laptop. I walk towards where she's sitting.

"You're still awake." I mutter and take a seat beside her on the next sofa.

Jocelyn turns to look at me. She nods. "Yes. I have to finish up some stuff relating to the diner party this evening."

"What stuff?"

Jocelyn turns the laptop for me to see. It's a photo of a beautiful lady. She's standing in front of a mic and seems to be singing her heart out with a bunch of instrumentalists behind her.

"She's a singer. I could play you one of her songs. She sings exotic music. You'd love it. Here," Jocelyn says and hands over her ear plugs to me. I plug it into my ears before she hits the play button.

As soon as the lady starts singing, I feel goosebumps rise on my skin. My eyes closed involuntarily and I let her beautiful mezzo soprano voice sip into the pores of my skin.

"Who's she?"

"She's a Jamaican singer, Raeni. She does soul jazz, very pure and authentic and she charges really cheap per show. You wouldn't believe the price!"

I immediately changed my mind about canceling that diner party. I might not like the people but I'm sure going to love the music!

Authors Note

Hello my distinguished lady's and gentlemen ( I don't know if I've male gender reading this book thought *embarrassing laugh*)

Sorry for the slow plot, actually, the plot is not suppose to be slow, I'm more of an Erotic writer but still practicing on mastering my billionaire writing so the Erotic scenes won't be a trigger. And also, I've been busy with work and other books that's why I'm not putting my all to this book but I'm here now, not fully but here to give my best to this book.

So, the spicing out of this book and the main plots will start from here. Julian is a sweet guy ( not for me because I'm more into my antagonist *Laughs evilly*) Marcel will surely be in the picture soon to spark up the love-Triangle between them.

What do you all think about this book? Your feedback triggers to hunger to write more.

So, thank you all very much for the support and love. I appreciate a lot.