Chapter 88

JOCELYN'S POV

The first thing he does after I make myself known, is to laugh. He has to be the most annoying person I have ever met. He is infuriating. Very infuriating, and I hate him for that.

   "Are you done laughing?" I ask, not sounding quite impressed at his rudeness.

   He coughs and stops himself from laughing. "Of course, I am done. What do you take me for?"

   "A clown. Most definitely. The only thing missing has to be your mask." I say snidely.

   "Is this why you called me? To call me names?"

   "Of course not. But if you permit me, I can continue."

   "Tell me. What lengths did you go to get my number?"

   "Pfft. I just made one call, and that was it. I called you for a reason. I do not have time to converse with you, Julian."

   "You called to beg me? I mean, I can speak to my mother for you, and she can accept you back as her maid. Only if you wouldn't try to seduce me again,"

   "That's insulting in the least, but I have not called for that reason. I think you would be the one begging me after I tell you what I want to tell you, Julian McCartney,"

   "What? What would you want to tell me that would have me begging you?"

   "I am only going to tell you the surface of it. It's up to you to believe me or not. Will you be at the party held at the Oriental Hotel tomorrow night?"

   "Yes, I will,"

   "I just called to warn you to be careful. Someone wants to have you killed. Warn your friends, too."

   "What are you talking about? You're pulling my legs, aren't you?" He laughs. I hear the slight anxiety in his voice, and that's enough for me to know that he has taken my word for it.

   "As I said, it's up to you to believe me. Have a good night's sleep, Julian."

   With those words, I end the call and place my phone back on the charging center by the bedside table.

   I stare at my phone for a while, knowing he will call back.

   And he did call back. But I did not pick up. This will help keep him awake all night and restless till the party begins.

   I smile. I might not want him and his friends dead, but I love the fear I am putting on him. It makes me utterly satisfied. Knowing that he will be having trouble sleeping tonight is enough to make me sleepy.

*****

   The following day, I wake up to several texts on my phone, and when I open the messages, it's from Julian.

   I can't hold back the laugh that escapes my throat.

   A knock sounds on the door, and I immediately turn the phone off. Digging it into my pillow, I climb out of the bed.

   Marcel is standing outside the door when I open it. He smiles at me and pulls me into him. 

   I need to act so fake it becomes real. I have to. So I lean into him and inhale.

   "You smell so nice this morning, Marcel,"

   He laughs. "I smell nice all the time,"

   I look up at him, and for what I think might be the last time, I plant my lips on his. We kiss for a while before I pull away.

   "We should be getting ready for work today, Marcel,"

   "Or not."

   I frown. "What do you mean?"

   "We are not going anywhere today. We will be home till evening. I'm sending a stylist to take care of your dress,"

   My brow raises in surprise. "That's okay, I guess."

   "Don't tell me you want to go to worn today,"

   I shrug. "I mean, maybe. I want to feel like I am working my ass out not living under the privilege of your kindness,"

   "To make you feel better, I should tell you that most department heads took a day off today for the party. The other employees are working because they won't be attending. My department heads need to get ready for today. I don't want anyone missing it tonight because they're tired. I want them to witness what is about to go down today,"

   "Julian and his friends' death?"

   Just as Marcel nods, I hear a chime on my bed. It's my phone. Marcel hears it too.

   "You must have gotten a text. You should go check it out,"

   I shake my head before leaning my head against him. "It's not so important. It's my friend and I texting. I want to spend time with you today,"

   "Uhhh..." He draws. "I would be quite busy today,"

   "With what?"

   "Work and some other things. Remember, some people would be here visiting, and I have to attend to them,"

   "Can't I be with you to help?" I ask.

   He shakes his head. "No, Celyn. Spend some time alone. Watch movies, listen to music, read a book or something before the stylist arrives. She'd be here by six,"

   Sighing, I fake a sad look before nodding. I want to be with him so I can know his every move.

   Shutting the door as soon as he leaves, I know that whoever wants to visit has a hand in everything that will happen tonight, and not knowing is disastrous. Closing my eyes, I sigh and go back to my bed before plunging my hand deep to get the phone from where it is hidden.

   "Thirty texts, what the hell?!"

   Shaking my head, I open my phone to see that he's been sending texts every minute.

   I will not reply to any of them. That would give me enough satisfaction. Knowing that he fears what will happen tonight, I can only be happy.

   But then, I remember he has to be discreet about it. I'd be in great trouble if Marcel somehow learned that Julian is aware.

   So I pick up the phone to give him a warning call.