Chapter 83

JOCELYN'S POV

"Maybe here's here to see someone else," I mutter under my breath as I smile at him before turning to face Teyanna. "It isn't me,"

"Doesn't look like it," She said from her teeth. "He's coming towards our table, Jocelyn,"

   "Then act like we haven't noticed him,"

   Nodding her head, Theresa focuses on her food and begins to eat.

   And just like she said, he stopped in front of our table. I turn to look at him like I am just seeing him for the first time, beaming. "Heyyy,"

   "Hey, Jocelyn," He begins. Teyanna waves at him, and he replies with a nod.

   "You eat here along with everyone, too?"

   Marcel shakes his head. "Actually, no. I eat somewhere else,"

   "So why are you here?"

   "To take you out with me,"

   I do not miss the tiny squeal that escapes Teyanna's throat. I look down at my food, wondering what will happen to it. "But I already got my meal,"

   "You can leave it here," Marcel says and slips both hands into his pocket.

   "That's wasting food and resources, Marcel. I can't leave it here,"

   "It's just a plate—"

   Before Marcel completes his statement, Teyanna speaks up. "I'd eat it,"

   I glare at her, but it doesn't deter her. "I am always given so little. This wouldn't be enough for me,"

   She pulls my tray towards her and pours the food into her plate, drowning her meatball with more macaroni.

   Pushing my chair back, I stand before picking up my phone and purse. Marcel smiles at me. "I'd be waiting outside,"

   As soon as he left, I pressed my fist to the side of Teyanna's head. She winces and smiles. "Hate you for this,"

   "As long as you both are together, the hate can go on."

   Glaring playfully at her, I turn and walk out of the hall. I notice that people look at me, but I do not care. I push the exit door open before stepping into the lobby.

   I find Marcel talking with a man. I stop for a brief moment. I am not ready to meet anyone yet. Maybe some other time.

   Marcel nods at me while I walk away, and I notice that everyone has their eyes on me. What exactly is going on in their heads? What news has been spreading?

   I try to ignore it by pushing the door open and waiting outside the company. It's pretty sunny outside, and I wish I had come with an umbrella.

   Well, I didn't know I would be going anywhere with Marcel. Not my fault.

   "Celyn," I turn immediately to find Marcel standing there with a smile.

   "Hey," I return his smile with a small one.

   "Everyone seems to know that something is going on between us,"

   "I thought as much,"

   We walk towards his car. He clicks his remote, and a beep is heard. Just before I enter his car, one of his employees sees us. He looks surprised to see his boss getting into a car with a black woman.

   "It's so obvious," I say. "While walking towards the door, I was stared at for a long time. I don't have to wait for a soothsayer to tell ms that there's something up between us,"

   Marcel revs up his engine and begins to reverse slowly. "And does it matter? Who cares about what they think?"

   "Me,"

   "Why?"

   "They'd start to think I got the post of a manager so easy because we're dating or something,"

   Marcel smiles at me once he is on the main street. "Isn't that true?"

   I frown at him in surprise. "That's a wrong narrative!"

   "Can we talk about this later?"

   I nod at him, but I feel slightly upset that he doesn't even see it as a thing. Does that mean I got this job so quickly? It doesn't feel right to me, and now, I feel like a privileged woman. The whole narrative might not be what they think, but I will be seen in another light, and I do not want that.

   "Don't tell me you're bothered, Celyn?" Marcel asks. "You usually don't give a fuck. Why does this get to you so much?"

   "I don't know, really," I muttered. I didn't want to talk to him about this now. At least, not now.

   "Well, we can forget about that and move on. We're going to have lunch with someone who would be of great help to us while perpetrating this act,"

   "What act?" I ask with a frown.

   He looks at me. "Have you forgotten? Julian and his friends,"

   Now, things get more confusing. I sit up in my seat and stare at him in confusion. "What are you talking about? Isn't this something we can do ourselves? I mean, we can pay them back,"

   I notice that Marcel's expression has changed. He has a sinister smile on, and it makes me nervous. I begin to wonder what he has in mind for them. It doesn't look like it's something random. He has something planned in his head.

   "Marcel? Mind telling me what you have planned?"

   "You'll see when we get there. You'll understand better,"

   "This doesn't sit right with me."

   "What doesn't?"

   "This whole thing. Seeing someone because we want an act of revenge,"

   "I." He emphasizes. "I want revenge. They will pay back for taking my parents from me, and I will stop at nothing till they're six feet under!"

   I am shocked to my marrows. He looks so angry. Like he could kill this instant, and it has me worried. Fuck.

   "Marcel, don't you think it's extreme? I mean, having to want to take their lives. It's not something you should—"

   "I am not taking anything overboard, and I am not being extreme!" He screamed.

   I cringe.

   He is glaring at me. His expression is so cold I can feel myself freeze to death. My heart begins to thump against my chest in fear of this man, and just when I tear my gaze from him, I scream.

   "Watch out, Marcel!"