Chapter 34

Jocelyn's POV

It's already evening and the whole house is bustling with activities as we wait for guests to arrive.

Tiffany, Rosá, me and the baker are done setting up the table and we go ahead to do other important things. Leela is getting dressed up by her makeup artist and fashion designer while Adelaide stands by the door, welcoming everyone.

"Today looks like it's going to be a good day," Tiffany says.

We all nod. "Of course. Jocelyn outdid herself!" Rosá replies.

"No, I did not. You all contributed to this. I'm not taking all the accolades, you guys,"

"Hey guys, our first guest already arrived! What are you all waiting for?!"

It's Leela's voice. We all turn to see her looking really beautiful in her dress. Her makeup is flawless and her hair is painstakingly neat. She added some highlights.

But looking at her now, I see a different person. I don't see the cheerful, nice and likable Leela. All I see is a woman suppressing her pent-up emotions and living like everything is alright.

I don't know but after that encounter we had in her room, I'm starting to see her differently. I'm starting to see the facade she puts on to hide her pain, to hide her insecurities and she does it really well. But it makes me worried as hell.

Compartmentalizing is what she's doing right now. Ignoring her emotions riled up by her husband's memorial and having fun only to deal with it alone, when everyone is gone already. I hope she's done though.

"Jocelyn, what are you doing in the kitchen? Our first guest has already arrived."

With the apron still tied around my waist, I lift the tray of muffins up. "We're not done,"

"Keep the tray and let them finish up. You have to go get dressed. My makeup artist is waiting for you!"

As I untie the apron around my waist, I look at her in surprise. "Makeup artist?"

"Of course. There's a bit of time to waste. Remember I'll be calling you forward to introduce you as the event planner? You need that push."

Tiffany rests her hand on my back. "You can go now. She's actually right. You never really belonged here anyways. Maybe you'd get something better after tonight. I'm counting on you,"

Nodding, I hang the apron on the rack and immediately exit the kitchen.

As Leela said, guess we're starting to arrive. A Chinese couple are busy checking the place out while Adelaide welcomes new guests in. Leela pushes me forward. I take the flight of stairs and go up to my room.

The first thing I do is pick up my toothbrush. After I'm done washing my mouth, I know I don't have so much time to waste in a bathtub so I take a quick shower, washing up the sweat on my body.

Once I'm out, I do the necessary things and put on my dress. There's no need for underwear as it really snatches my body. That is when the makeup artist enters.

"Are you ready?"

JULIAN'S POV

Somehow, Rita hears the news of my mother's dinner party and she gives me a call a few hours before I get set for dinner to inform me that she'd be attending the dinner party.

She has never attended my mother's infamous dinner party and I don't know how to tell her that it has never turned out well but she really wants to please my mother so I know she's not going to listen to anything I say.

The thing is, I don't want her at this dinner party because I don't think we've gotten to that stage yet. She's taking things really fast. Talking about getting married to me and how many kids we're going to give birth to and all that. She's the only active one in this relationship and most times, I feel really guilty that she has to put efforts in everything but what do I know?

I am just knotting my tie when a call comes into my phone. It's Rita. I sigh heavily before picking her call.

"Baby," She calls with urgency. "I'm almost done. Can you give me extra thirty minutes?"

"I can't be late to my mother's party. She's going to be upset. I'll send a driver to you, okay?"

  "Why? It's just thirty minutes. I'm almost done with my make up. I only have to stretch my hair and put my dress on. I'm sure your mother is not going to be that mad, is she?"

She sounds upset now and that's because she wants everyone to see us coming into the party together.

"Thirty minutes. No more or less."

Her tone immediately lightens. "Thanks, baby. I love you!"

"I have to go now." I say and end the call and just as I am dropping my phone, another call enters. It's Davin.

"What's up, bro? Where the hell are you? We already arrived at the party and we don't see you around." I can hear the sound of music in the background. It sounds more laid back and chill than the usual boring classic my mother loves. And Davin didn't even start by complaining. That's some development.

"I'm still at home. Rita asked me to wait for her. I have no option."

"For someone you don't love, she really has her fingers wrapped around you,"

"What do I do?"

"Anyway, Jamal is here with his girlfriend and Damien also came with this Venezuelan model. Bring one of your really sexy friends for me, will you? I'm sure it's going to be easy for you. I don't want to be the fourth wheel."

"Man, you'll see some beautiful lady there, don't worry. I have to go now,"

"I need someone by my side, dude!" He yells but I end the call.

Shaking my head, I continue with my tie and as soon as I am done, I spray my favorite perfume for dinners and social gatherings. Something that screams masculine and makes me stand out and thirty minutes later, Rita is calling to tell me that she's ready.