Chapter 76

JOCELYN'S POV

I have frequented the park several times but ever since I came to New York and life happened, there hasn't been a drop of fun in my life. 

All I have been doing since I came here is look for jobs, work hard to pay my rent, cry in my bathrooms and get rejected all the damn time.

Marcel slows down to a halt before cruising into one of the public parking spaces. Not a lot of cars were here which was surprising for a Saturday morning.

   "Aren't parks meant to be filled up with people? Why is everywhere empty?"

   Marcel kills the engine and unlocks the car before turning to me and shrugging. "I think it's because of the concert that's holding this year,"

   "Have you forgotten it's Coachella season?"

   I stopped and gasped, clamping my hand over my mouth. "Shut up!"

   "Of course. It's tomorrow and everyone must have gone. Parents are probably busy waiting to watch their favorite artists,"

   I nod. "I know how Coachella is every year. Fuck."

   "What's wrong?"

   I sigh. "I would have loved to attend,"

   "You've attended before?" Marcel asks as he locks the car with his remote.

   I lean against the car and he comes over to where I'm standing. I nod at him. "Just once. In college. We planned so much for it. Saved throughout the year so we wouldn't miss it. It was such a beautiful experience and I told myself I was going to attend every year. I haven't attended in two years,"

   "Why?"

   I burst into laughter. A sad one. "Responsibilities. Coachella isn't even on my list of activities to check. Who has the money,"

   "We could go tonight if you want. I could prepare my private jet or a plane if you're scared. My grandmother prefers a plane over my private—"

   "I'll have to stop you right there, Marcel,"

   "Did I say something wrong?" He asks, worry written all over his face.

   "No. Nothing. You didn't say anything wrong. I just think you're doing too much for me and it makes me uncomfortable. I understand that you want to make things easy for me but I'd rather you don't. I really appreciate your gestures. You're a sweet person but I'll need you to cut down on how you do things for me. Makes me really uncomfortable,"

   "But other women like it," He says, looking utterly clueless.

   "The last thing you should do is bring women under a general umbrella. We are all different, unique in our own ways. Another woman might appreciate the gesture and another might feel uncomfortable because they do not like being helped so much,"

   "So the latter is your case?" He asks. I nod, feeling bad for being so straightforward. He looks so worried and it's my fault. "I'm sorry if I came off like that. Honestly, I don't think you're like other women. And that's the reason why I want to do all these for you. I have never been a fun person. All my life has been filled with work and you bring out the fun person in me,"

   I smile politely at him, gesturing to the park behind us. "That's why we're here. To have fun,"

   "But Coachella—"

   "Coachella will keep on holding annually and I will be able to go someday,"

   "Promise you'll go with me?"

   I nod at him. "Of course. Now, let's go to the park. There's a lot to see, isn't there?"

   "Not as much as Coachella," He says as we walk through the smooth cobblestone path, flanked by sweet smelling leaves.

   I nudged him. "You seem hung up on this. Now I feel bad for mentioning Coachella,"

   "This isn't even as fun as Coachella. Not even one bit. Nobody here, no loud music and booze, no people, no celebrities!"

   "You look so adorable!" I cry out in utter amusement.

   He huffs and we continue walking. The park is open and there's an old man seated inside a cubicle. He smiles politely at us and wishes us a good time at the park.

   This is my first time being here and I know why Jane is always excited to be here. She has a childish spirit and it makes this place a safe space for her. A place where she can be herself while shutting out the whole world.

   The park is large and circular. Rounded with wrought iron gates and inscriptions on the lintels. There is a field house at the other end of the other side and beside it is a thick bush of wild flowers, sheer red and so beautiful. There's a playground; swings, seesaws and a lot of other advanced playthings I have never seen before. At the far end of the eastern part is a very large field. There is a track and a mini football field which also houses a baseball and volleyball field right beside it. A multipurpose field.

   What catches my attention is the shade structure lined with picnic tables and surrounded with ivory neon lights. There's a recreation trail right behind it and I feel an adrenaline rush overcome me.

   "And you tell me that this place isn't as fun as Coachella?"

   He nods. "You know it. Stop this fake optimism."

   "The only thing missing here is a stage for musicians, extremely loud music, people, maybe a concession stand and booze,"

   "Maybe I need some excitement in my life. I've led a boring life for so long. I need a change,"

   I nod at him. "You really do need to loosen up and since we can not do that at Coachella, we can do it here!"

   I tug down at his hands and he looks down at it before looking at me. "What are you doing?"

   "About to have fun with you, duh!"

   "Oh, no. Celyn, I came here to spend time with you and show you where I used to love as a young boy,"

   "Of course, we will see it! That's what will make things fun for us."

   "Let's go over to the shed," I beg, suddenly wanting to have fun. I haven't had that in almost a year. Coming out of college to get hit by the hardship of adulthood has made my life a boring mess.

   "Should have taken you to the restaurant instead." Marcel groans before he lets me pull him whenever.