Chapter 67

JOCELYN'S POV

Today? Quite eventful.

Marcel didn't arrive until nine, and I had to wait at the reception. Tiyanna sees me and cries in delight.

   "You're going to be our manager!"

   I smile at her. "Of course,"

   She closes her eyes and nearly bursts into tears. "You do not know how happy I am,"

   "I am happy, too," I say. "But then, me being the manager doesn't give you a chance not to act right, okay?"

   Her excitement dies down, and she sighs. "Is that what you think of me?"

   I blink and stand on my feet immediately. "No— no! That's not what I think of you. I want you to know my kind of person. I am not someone who likes to discriminate and thrive on favoritism."

   "I understand," She smiles. "I understand. But you have met the wrong person. I do not have such expectations of you. I am just happy that there's a fellow black woman who can relate things to me. Many of my colleagues don't seem to be interested in anything I have to say. You're the only one,"

   I smile at her and nod. "That's great,"

   "So, who are you waiting for?"

   "Uhm, Marcel. He'll be the one to introduce me to everyone and make the announcement,"

   "But someone else can. The Vice,"

   "He insists he wants to," I say and shrug, and just as I am about to take my seat, I see him walking into the rotating doors with someone behind him with his briefcases in hand. "He's here,"

   Her eyes widen in fear, and she comes to stand by me with her hands in front of her. "I rarely see him face to face, and I must admit he's hot,"

   I laugh. "He is."

   "Jocelyn," He says and stops before me, and in all truth, Tiyanna is right. He's a handsome man. "You left without my knowledge,"

   I look at Tiyanna awkwardly before turning back to him. "I didn't want to disturb you,"

   "Saw your new car outside," He smiles. "You love it?"

   I don't want to discuss this with Tiyanna here, but he doesn't seem to care. "I must thank you, Marcel," I say and step forward, taking his hand into mine in the form of appreciation. "I loved it. I think it's too much, even. A Maserati?"

   He smiles and kisses my hand softly, and I nearly cave in. Why the public display of affection?

   I don't know how to feel about it. Uncomfortable? Giddy?

   Tiyanna clears her throat. "Good morning, Mr. Reynolds,"

   He turns to look at her with disinterest. "Morning. I haven't seen you here,"

   I decide to step in. "She works in my department, and I met her yesterday,"

   He looks at me. "Is that so?"

   I nod and pull Tiyanna's hand. "Her name is Tiyanna,"

   "Tiyanna, what?"

   "Tiyanna Tempoe," She says with an awkward smile. I can see the pressure his presence is putting on her, and I feel sorry for her.

   "Tiyanna Temple," He repeats but slowly this time. He nods before turning to me once again like she's a wall. I see the slight hurt in her eyes before she smiles at me and walks away.

   "I'm sorry, but I've got to ask this. Is this how you act towards your employees,"

   "How do I act? Did I do something wrong?"

   Oh. I see the look in his eyes. It's not something he does on purpose. "No. You didn't. Never mind. Uhm, you said you were going to introduce me to my department,"

   A smile coats his face. "Of course. Let's go," He says and turns to the man behind him. Handing over his briefcase, he asks the man to take it to his office.

   The walk to the elevator is short, and he taps the button to the third floor.

   "I must thank you for the car, Marcel," I began after moments of silence. "You got a car for me. Not just any car. One I wouldn't be able to get in years. I don't know how to feel about it. It's just—"

   "A little thank you will go a long way," He says with a smile.

   I flush in slight embarrassment before nodding. "Right,"

   "You aren't embarrassed, are you?"

   "A little," I say, and we both laugh.

   "Mind you, and I will be going with some of my friends to celebrate your new position,"

   "Is that necessary?" I ask, feeling a little tired. I don't want all that elaboration over getting a new job. It's not like I am an old employee who just got promoted. I don't think I don't want all that PR right now.

   "If you don't want it, it's fine," He says and picks a fluff from my hair. The scent of his deodorant hits me, and I nearly push into him. "But you're still coming with me to the club tonight. Another of my friend is celebrating a huge contract he won,"

   I look down at my dress. I think if his friend and I know that he will be rich and probably surrounded by men of high caliber and women of the same level. I think this dress is too modest.

   "Don't worry about your dress, Jocelyn," Marcel chuckles. "You look stunning in it,"

   I nod and smile at him, and before we leave the elevator, he pulls my wrist and looks into my eyes. "I want you to act like the head. Don't let their passive and active jibes get to you. You're the boss, and you will remain that, okay?"

   I give him a look. "What do you take me for? A scared rat?" I laugh. "Don't worry, and I know how to take care of myself,"

He nods and smiles at me. His eyes dart to my lip, and he clears his throat. "You're right. I trust you, Jocelyn."

Nodding, we leave the elevator and head for the department.