Chapter 94

JULIAN'S POV

I am standing with one of the sheriffs, informing me that I must be at the station tomorrow to make a statement. After answering a few questions, I met with my friends.

"Tonight was fucked up," Davin says as he looks back at the scene with a sigh. "Who knew Marcel hadn't gotten over what we did to him the last time?"

"He's a fucking psychopath," Jamal says. "He even had to collaborate with another psychopath. Why are we always tagged as bad people even? Nobody even knows the evil he did at a young age. He must have told Jocelyn some sob story,"

   "That bitch!" Damien spits. "She was working with him the whole time,"

   "Y'all, calm the fuck down. She was manipulated and lied to. She doesn't even know the full story. Just Marcel's abridged version, which might have made her feel terrible for him. He also used her because we were unkind to her. It's easy to manipulate someone desperate and needy, and he did just that to her."

   Just as I am done speaking, our phones beep simultaneously. We all take it out of our pockets at the same time.

   It's a text message with a file attached to it.

   "What the hell?" Jamal mutters.

   I open the message, and once I see it, I am frozen in shock. "Fuck! Fuck!"

   Someone laid a hand on the photos we had taken of Marcel on the night we had locked him up. And the message attached to it is a threat.

Do you all think you are smart and sleek? I bet you aren't as smart as you thought now, huh? I knew that somehow, this would turn out bad because of that bitch Jocelyn, so we devised a plan B. Someone inside your homes might be working for us. Have a nice night. I hope you can take the blowback from this when it is posted on the internet and you all are tagged as bullies. I will watch each of your companies crumble to the ground.

Raising our heads, we all stare at one another. Panic, shock, fear. It is all evident in our expressions. I can feel my heart thudding terribly against my chest.

   "This is fucked up, Julian!" Jamal screams and crashes his phone to the ground. "Vito has always wanted to be ahead of us all, and now, he has gotten his chance.  There is no way for us to defend ourselves!"

   Damien is silent, but I know what is going through his head. His eyes dart to my car, and just as he walks towards it, I block his way.

   "It's all her fault. It's all of that bitch's fault! I'll make sure she pays."

   "Calm the fuck down, man!" I snap. "As I said, she had no idea this would happen. She was in the dark the whole time. She might have hated us, but when she discovered Marcel's plan to kill us, she got my number from Rosá and called me. She's not the bad person here. It's Vito and Marcel!"

   "That doesn't change a thing. She was involved,"

   "Can we forget about her and focus on the fact that we might be in national trouble? You all are focused on making her pay, and she is in the dark about all these. If that photo is taken to the internet, we are all fucked! Our investors will start withdrawing, we will begin to lose clients, and our companies will have a bad rep. The damage will be irreparable!"

   Damien scoffed. "So what do you suggest we do, superman?"

   "Let's meet tomorrow at our usual spot. There's a lot we have to talk about. We need to work together now, more than ever. We know we might have done him wrong by locking him in the closet but trust me, he did worse. He was the cause of Brenda's death."

   They all calm down, but the uneasiness is still there. They are worried about how things would turn out if it isn't repaired fast.

   "You're protecting her now, aren't you?"

   "She helped us, you all. We would have been dead meat if not for her. The least we can do is protect her, at least. She has been through a lot. I can't keep repeating myself. All of you are not in Kindergarten!"

   "Doesn't change the fact that she was involved in this. We will go home, and tomorrow, we will meet again."

   Nodding, I watch my friends leave before walking back to my car. I signal the driver, who revs up the engine, to drive away.

Jocelyn is right in the car with me, but she is still really tense. I can sense her fear and the sirens from the police car seem to put her in great anxiety.

   Well, the party was ruined. No one is really interested in whatever the organizers have to say. It is a crime scene and making videos and taking pictures with their phone seems to be far more important than a party.

   I am really worried about how things will turn out. We can't let that photo be in the media. If will fuck our businesses up. People will begin to hate us, give us a bad reputation, and slowly, we will crumble to the ground.

   "What will happen to Marcel?"

   I look at her. "He will be arrested for attempted murder. He will be tried in court and jailed or fined but we know he has enough money to bail himself out. We won't be doing any of that."

   "But he will be out on the loose and he will come after me!" She cries.

   "You don't have to be afraid, Jocelyn. I will protect you from him. You helped us and how it is my turn to."

   She shakes her head. I can see how much panic she is in. Grabbing her hands, I stare into her eyes. "I need you to brace up. This is just the beginning."

   "What are you talking about?"

   "That will be for later."