Chapter 58

JOCELYN'S POV

After everything, Marcel leads me to the elevator and taps on the buttons that leads to the top floor. Once the door shuts and we are in the confines of the shiny rose gold walls of the elevator, Marcel turns to me and smiles.

   "You look nervous," He says.

   I shrug. "The last time I was here, I wasn't really received nicely. I should be nervous,"

   Marcel looks at me for a long time before saying anything. Though I am not looking at him directly, I can see his face from the other side of the wall.

   "You'll be fine. You're with me so no one would be harsh to you,"

   "That's not it. I don't care if I am treated harshly. When you're not here, I am going to be treated like I am not one of them. There would be a start discrimination,"

   Marcel sighs and takes my hands. "Listen to me, Jocelyn. If anyone treats you differently from others, you can always report to me,"

   "But—"

   He raises his index finger to stop me. "Shh. You are to be treated with respect, okay? No one should treat you anyhow because you're a black woman,"

   I sigh and nod. "Alright, Marcel. Thanks."

   "So you're going to report anyone trying to be unnice to you to me, yes?"

   I didn't think I would do that. Probably once and against my own will. "Yes, I will."

   Marcel smiles at me. "Good."

   The elevator dings and the doors open. Marcel stands aside and shows me out. I smile at him and walk out of the elevator before standing and waiting briefly for him.

   We walk through the corridors and I realize that this floor is different from the ground floor. The ground floor is filled with cubicles. I am guessing that it's the area for junior employees. This place looks like it belongs to the executives with each and everyone having their own offices to themselves.

   "You don't have to be too curious. My personal assistant will give you a tour around the company today. You will also be introduced to your department and the product manager,"

   Marcel stops in front of a door that has his name embossed directly below the lintel in gold. He slips his hands into his breast pocket and takes out a card before swiping it on the door. It clicks and he pushes the door open.

   I am first welcomed by the sweet smelling fragrance as I walk into the room and the cold air blowing from the air conditioner in the room. What catches me next is the interior design of this place and the floor to ceiling windows. I just wish this place would be like my office. I have always dreamt of owning an office with this kind of window.

   He must have spent so much money to make his office look like this. The mixture of antiquity and advanced design makes this place look exceptional. I am lost, wandering in his office and looking at things with stark curiosity and admiration. I haven't taken my time to look around his office the first day I came here.

   When I turn, I find Marcel watching me with a smile on his face. I feel really weird that he's looking at me like that but I say nothing and smile instead.

   "Your office is really breathtaking, I must say. Whoever designed this place must be topnotch,"

   He nods and takes a seat on his swivel chair. "Yeah. Topnotch. They're one of the best designers in the country,"

   I nod and when he gestures for me to take a seat, I pull out a chair.

   He slips his phone out of his pocket and places it beside his monitor before lifting the telephone receiver from its notch and dialing numbers.

   "Gigi," He says as soon as the telephone beeps. "Come to my office," He places the receiver back in its notch. He has already taken the stance of a CEO and it's quite impressive and also intimidating. He's no longer smiling and I am taken back to the first day I came into this place. I was so nervous and he hadn't even made things better for me.

   But now, things are different. Slightly different, I guess.

   A knock sounds on the door and Marcel beckons her in. The door opens and a very beautiful lady steps into the room. She's really tall and slender and for a moment, I see her as a model. She's fit for that.

   Well, she got a right spot as the personal assistant to one of the CEOs thriving in the business world.

   She also looks like she's mixed. I can see the features of Hispania and middle east Asia. I always knew that mixed people thrived in the world of beauty.

   But then, she looks at me like she's not impressed by Marcel's choice. I immediately look away and focus more on my twitching hands.

   "Good morning, Mr Reynolds," She began in a smooth English that's laced with Spanish.

   She calls him by his formal name. I'm probably the closest to him now. Look who's enjoying the privileges of being close to the CEO after being humiliated the last time.

   "This is Jocelyn and she's the head of the administrative department,"

   "But she wasn't interviewed and she didn't apply—"

   Marcel looks at her sternly and she immediately shuts up her mouth. Though I feel a bit guilty that she is right, I am happy that Marcel put her in her place with just a look.

   "When did you become the boss, Gigi?"

   Gigi lowers her head and glares at me. "I am sorry, Mr Reynolds. I was only trying to make things,"

   "You don't have to." Marcel says dismissively. "I want you to take her on a tour around the building. Show her around. I will take her to the administrative department myself so you don't have to worry about taking her there,"

   Gigi nods and looks at me. I can see the disdain in her eyes but I have chosen to ignore it.  "Please, follow me,"

   So I stand to my feet and look at Marcel but he's now focused on his monitor. The Marcel I met this morning has been replaced by a more serious and stoic man.