Chapter 44

Jocelyn's POV

Adelaide isn't smiling at me. I know she's not a woman who smiles a lot but for the last few days, she has been nicer to me, smiling in the best way she can.

But seeing her all in frowns, has me bothered. And for the fact that Rosá told me about Leela being mad at me and talking about a dent in my reputation, I am extremely worried but I try to calm myself down. She's probably angry about something little. She's going to forgive me and not do something drastic, I hope.

Getting to her room, Adelaide knocks on the door and opens it. She gestures for me to go in before her and I do so.

Leela is seated on the Chippendale chair facing outside her window and standing beside her is Julian. My heart skips. I know he's up to no good.

Adelaide clears her throat and both of them turn. They're talking about something and they stop.

When Leela turns to look at me, I don't see that softness in her eyes. She looks really stern and that's not something I've ever seen in her eyes before. She stands to her feet and Julian sits on it.

   "How are you doing, Jocelyn?"

   I look at Julian. He's not even looking at me. He's on his phone. That's when I know that he's up to no good.

   I have to be confident no matter what.

   "I'm doing okay, Leela. I hope you are, too?"

   Leela nods. "Of course I am."

   I nod. "Adelaide says you sent for me,"

    Like she was just remembering the reason why she brought me here, she nods. "Oh, yes. I did ask her to call you," Then she looks at Adelaide who nods and leaves.

   "Mind telling me what happened last night?" Leela says. There's a crease on her brow and now, she looks really offended. Really angry.

   I'm confused. What exactly is she talking about? Julian raises his head and speaks instead.

   "You look confused. Let me rephrase it for you," he says. "During the whole game to make the party lively, you asked my girlfriend if she thinks I'm a racist or not,"

   "Yes, I did," I replied calmly.

   "And you think that was the best question to ask him?" Leela asks.

   Should I just be honest? I know I'll face consequences but I need to stand on my truth, no matter what. "It might have not been the best but I wanted to. He rejected me because I am a black woman. I wanted to work in a company and I knew that my resume was top-notch. But he rejected me because I am black,"

   "I did so and I don't regret it," Julian says.

   Why is he acting so childish?

   "That's the main reason why I called you here," Leela says. "You drugged him last night,"

   "What?!" I exclaim. "I drugged you, Julian? Are you crazy!"

   "I will not condone such rudeness from you, Jocelyn!" Leela scolded. "You will speak to him politely!"

   I shake my head in shock. When he said he was going to make sure he made me leave here, I didn't know he was going to go to these lengths.

   "He told me he woke up naked in your bed and he doesn't seem to remember anything," Leela explained. "Jocelyn, you are one of my best workers but that doesn't give you the freedom to sleep with my son without his consent! I could sue you for rape, you know?"

   I didn't know when a tear slipped down my cheek. I felt hurt. I felt stupid. I felt ashamed. I felt so unlucky. "Leela, will you let me explain what happened last night? Julian is lying and he's trying to frame me!"

   Leela shook her head. "I don't think there's anything you'd say that will change anything about this. Julian and I had to watch my husband leave us for a black woman. She had his child and that automatically tied him to her. Now, you want to do the same to him? You sleep with him so you can have his child and cage him, knowing fully well how much he hate you. I never thought you would stoop so low to do this, Jocelyn."

   My hurt was replaced with anger. Leela was chosing to be blind to this whole situation on purpose and that was because her son was involved in this.

   "Leela, I am on the pills. Julian was the one who came to find me in my room. He forced himself on me and I made a mistake. I shouldn't have let my desires cloud my thinking. I shouldn't have let a man who hates me because of my skin color sleep with me only to wake up the next day with ridiculous accusations. So you are calling me a rapist this time?"

   Julian shrugged. "Might be the case."

   I shook my head and laughed. "Julian, you and I know what transpired between us last night. You're choosing to pretend and that's fine. You already said you were going to look for ways to make me lose this job and I know you love seeing people who worked so hard from college to become who they are today, only to shatter their dreams and trust me, you're going to pay for this."

   Leela was watching me with careful eyes. She said nothing as I spoke.

   "I'll take my leave now," I said but Leela stopped me.

   "There's something you have to do," She says and goes to her vanity table. She picks up a paper and pins it on the table. There's a pen beside it.

   "This is a termination letter and you're to sign it. It was nice working with you but I don't think you being here is safe for me and my son. I see how much hate you have for him and less understanding of what's going on,"

   At this point, I want to tell Leela I hate her for being partial. But Julian's her son, so?

   Nodding, I walk over to the table and pick up the pen. Once I'm done signing, I place it back on the table.

   "You're to leave as soon as you leave this room. Your full payment will be sent to you as soon as you leave this room."