Chapter 24

Jocelyn's POV

Sighing, I contemplate on if I should tell these women what happened to me or keep quiet about it.

Rosá is looking at me so intensely that I want to look away. She's looking at me like I'm suspicious or hiding something. Tiffany on the other hand has continued whatever she's doing but I know that she's still listening to hear whatever I have to say.

"It's kind of complicated and I am not supposed to be working here."

"Of course, you shouldn't. Julian doesn't even like black women," Rosá said and quickly added. "Do not take offense. My sister is a black woman. He only changed towards her after his father left with a black woman. Now, he hates everyone that's black."

I frown in confusion. What they're saying sounds kind of familiar. One of the men who rejected me did so because he detested black women so I'm wondering if he's the one. But before I could ask another question, the woman turned to look at me.

"Does that sound familiar to you?"

I nod. "Yes, it does. I was not given a job because I was a black company."

Rosá and Tiffany both stare at each other. I see that they're communicating through eye contact and they say nothing.

"Well, it's always like that in the racist world,"  Tiffany said. "They hate black people because they're scared of black people."

"Julian is a racist?" I ask with my eyes as wide as saucers. How are these women coping with a racist? Must be terrible.

"No, he isn't!" Tiffany immediately defended. "We told you what happened with his father and his secretary, right? He cheated on his wife with a black woman and like he says, she used voodoo to snatch him away from his mother. He got married to her and things went south from then on. He began to hate black people in general and most times, he'd be rude to me and apologize sometimes. He's just hurt that his father left him and his mother for a woman who ended up wrecking him."

"He's not racist," Rosá added gently. "He just detests that woman and most times, he tends to project that to all black people around him. Mostly black women."

I nod in understanding. That might be a tangible reason but it's not enough to hate an entire race because of one thing your father did to your mother. It doesn't make sense to me.

"It's time to serve breakfast,"Tiffany announced. "Jocelyn, go set the dishes in the dining room. Don't forget to add a jug of water, juice and wine. Also the necessary cups, too."

Rosá pointed to the rack where I'd been getting plates and each time I returned to the kitchen, she'd show me where to get other things like cups and cutleries.

In no time, I'm done. So I join the women to take the dishes to the dining room. Everything has been set up and the whole dining area is filled with the aroma of different dishes.

We all return to the kitchen and take a seat around on the small dining table in the kitchen.

"What next are we going to do?" I ask. I want to be done with everything early so I can retire to my room and arrange my stuff. I need to start looking for jobs also because I don't see myself working here for a long time.

"Wait till they're done eating, serve more if they want and keep the leftovers for us to eat after they're done with dinner."

I nod and stand on my feet. "I think I should start by washing the dishes first to make things easier for us."

"That would be nice. I and Rosa would be in the other room preparing ingredients for pastry tonight."

"Alright," I say. The sink is filled with dishes and pots and spoons of different sizes. But I'm used to washing as my mother made me wash piles of plates after a large party she held in our home.

We used to have a maid but for my mother to train me up to a young, independent woman, she made me wash a lot of dishes. I used to hate it as a young girl and I thought my mother hated me. But now, I kind of appreciate her for forcing me to wash dishes.  It has come in handy now.

I'm in the middle of washing dishes when Adelaide comes into the kitchen and I swear, that woman scares me. I wonder what she wants from me. I just hope she's not here for me though.

"Where's Tiffany an Rosá?" She asks as she looks around the kitchen.

"They're in the pantry." I say in reply.

"Well, Leela wants you to join them for breakfast," She says. "You can suspend washing the dishes and come join them in the dining room,"

I frown in confusion. "I don't understand. I'm a maid and it's not proper to—"

"Your explanations are not necessary. You are wanted at the dining table," Adelaide said with a tone of finality and turned to leave. "You suspend whatever you're doing and join them."

As soon as she leaves, I lean against the sink. This isn't a good thing. I love to finish whatever I'm doing before having any meal and joining them for breakfast feels really off. I understand that Leela really likes me but I honestly prefer having late breakfast with Tiffany and Rosá.

Knowing that she's my boss and I have no option, I wash and wipe my hand before leaving the kitchen. Tiffany and Rosá would be surprised when they find me in the dining room with Leela.

When I get to the dining room, I find Leela seated and having breakfast alone and when she sees me, she smiles broadly.

"I wasn't able to see you today," She says. "Come have a seat with me."

I do as she says. "But it doesn't feel proper dining with my boss. I feel quite uncomfortable."

Leela places a hand on mine and smiles. "I understand you, Jocelyn. But I see a potential in you and I assure you that you won't be working here for long. I'd find somewhere you deserve."

Why is this woman being kind to me?