Chapter 18

Julian's POV

There's no place I want to be apart from my mother's home or this woman's arm. As soon as I close from work, I decided to drive to my mother's home, have dinner and have a small chit-chat with her. I know she's going to ask me to come over one of these days so it's best I do that now so I can go another two weeks without seeing her.

As I am driving through the intersection, my phone rings beside me. It's Rita. Just then, I remember that I agreed to see us tonight. I don't want to see anyone apart from my mother tonight.

I have to find an excuse. I peel off my right hand from my steering wheel and pick up my phone.

"Hey, babe."

"Hey. How are you?"

"I'm good. I hope you are, too?"

"Yes, I am. Are we still meeting up tonight? Remember we agreed to that."

I sigh. How do I tell her that I do not want to see her? Ever since I had sex with that woman, I've been feeling the need to explore. I don't even see the need for being in a serious relationship with her anymore. She's boring.

"My mother asked me to come to see her today. I don't want to turn her down."

There's silence on the other side for a moment and I know that Rita is upset. She hates it when I back down from meetups at the last minute. "Why didn't you tell me earlier on?"

"She called this evening as I was leaving for work."

"You told her we were going to see?"

"Well, I did. She didn't agree. She wants me to come over."

"Your mother has never liked me and you know that. I should have known."

"Should have known what?" I ask frowning.

"I do not mean so much to you. I have been telling you that we have to meet up this week before I travel out."

I frown. Travel out? I don't think she told me that. "Traveling out? You never mentioned such. I would have sacrificed this week for you."

"Julian!" She cried out in anger. "I remember telling you that I bagged a big gig. I'm going to Paris for a month to shoot. I told you the last time we were together and you were happy for me. We celebrated."

I honestly didn't remember but now that she says it, I remember her telling me she bagged a big modeling gig. I don't remember the details of it. Damn, she's going to be mad that I forgot. How could I forget?!

"I'm sorry, baby. I forgot. You know with the way business has been, running around, attending meetings—"

"You have changed, Julian. This isn't you any longer. No matter how busy you are, you never forgot to call or even remind me of tasks I had to do. You were always excited to go out on dates with me and spend the night together. But now, you rarely call. I thought you were too busy and I understood. But now, I know you don't care anymore. You should have told me."

I close my eyes. I honestly don't know what to say to make her feel better. She's mad at me and I know that. She's not going to want to speak to me.

"Rita, I know I've been absent. It's all my fault—."

"I have to go, Julian. Have fun."

The call ends in my ear and I sigh. There's nothing I can do. I'll have to go see my mother.

The drive to my mother's home is short since she lives downtown. I pick up my phone and give her a call.

"Hey, mum."

"Hey, sweetie. Surprisingly, you called me tonight. What do you want?"

I roll my eyes. My mum always treating me like a college student will forever be amusing to me. "I'm coming over for dinner tonight."

"But I didn't ask you to. Why are you suddenly coming over?"

"Don't you want me to be there?"

"No! You are welcome. It's just that I have to beg you to come over for dinner on some nights. You making that proposal is new. I'm going to ask the cook to make your favorite meal."

"Alright, mum. Bye."

"I love you."

"Love you, too."

Getting to my mother's home, I am invited by the beautiful aroma of food cooking. My stomach rumbles and I realize that I haven't eaten since lunch.

The maids greet me and I am informed that my mother is in the living room. I find her seated on a couch, watching her favorite show. Going behind the chair where she's seated, I bend over to kiss her on the cheek. She turns to look at me and smiles.

"Honey, you came." She says and pats the seat beside her. "Take a seat beside me."

I do as she is told. She's smiling too much and I wonder why. She doesn't act this way unless she wants to ask for something or force me to go on a blind date with someone I definitely would be bored by.

"What's up, mum? Your smile is suspicious."

"Is that so?" She asks. I shrug. "Well, today has been a good day. I employed a new maid."

I frown. She looks more excited than she always would when she employs someone new. It's strange.

"Is this why you're this happy? I thought you found your one true love."

My mother shrugs. "I've always wanted her to work for me. Seeing her today made me happy."

"Beyonce?"

She bursts into laughter. It has to be Beyonce because my mother can not be excited over a mere human being. It has to be a celebrity.

"No. It's just this really beautiful lady. She's so smart and intelligent and she would be good company."

I nod, not taking it to heart. I am more concerned about dinner because I am really hungry. The topic ends there and we both go to the dining room to have dinner.