Chapter 54

JOCELYN'S POV

"So, do you want to start working immediately?" Marcel asks as I finish up my drink.

   I looked up at him in shock. This month couldn't get any better. "Uhm, I'd love to start working immediately but I need to sort out my living condition,"

   To that, he stands to his feet. "Let's go,"

   I frown but I still stand to my feet, watching as he leaves the booth. "Where are we going?"

   By now, we're out of the door and walking towards his car. He stops when he gets to the door and opens it up for me. He's a gentle man.

   Smiling, I nod at him in appreciation and slip into the car while still wondering what he's up to.

   He joins me in the car and shuts it with a thud. The driver revs up the engine and we start to drive out of the parking lot.

   "We need to talk about your living arrangement," Marcel says. I look at him attentively because I am confused on how I am going to find a place to live while I work.

   "I don't think you should bother yourself. You already gave a job. I think it's my duty to find a place to live," I said, already feeling too grateful for everything he did in the space of three hours.

   Marcel chuckles and shakes his head. "Uhm, I don't think I've done anything of much importance. But I want to make a proposal to you, Jocelyn. I just hope it sits right with you,"

   The silence that follows after is filled with tension and curiosity. Marcel is staring directly at me like he's about to drop a bombshell.

   "Do you mind living in my condominium for a while before you are able to find your own place?"

   I didn't expect him to say that. I am ridden with another wave of shock but I do well to conceal it by acting like it's a good idea.

   But I am unsure.

   "Uhm," I begin, searching my head for the right words to say. "I don't really know. I mean, I am becoming your employee soon and me living with you can create a scandal and maybe ruin your reputation or something,"

   Marcel chuckles. "Reputation? I don't care about that. I think it's something people use to cage people. I believe in liberality. I don't care if the media creates a wave of gossip on social media and the sorts. You shouldn't care, either. They're distractions,"

   "I mean, I'm a black woman," I begin as my insecurities surface. "They're going to say a lot of things compared to when it's a white woman,"

   "Does it really matter?" Marcel begins as he fully turns to face me. "Does their opinion matter at all? Look at you, Jocelyn. You're beautiful, intelligent and ambitious. Whatever they say shouldn't weigh you down. It should make you stronger,"

   I felt at ease after he says those words. I don't think anyone has said something as nice and heartfelt as what Marcel had just said and I feel really good from inside.

   When he takes my hands, I feel funny inside. "I want you to live with me. You don't have to stress over things like a place to live and how to get to work,"

   I could burst into tears right now but I smile and burst into a laughter of joy. Marcel smiles at me and I nearly throw my arms around him.

   "So, we're game, yeah?" He asks and I nod, feeling giddy and really excited to begin working as the head of the administrative department. I am partly nervous but curious about what the future holds for me.

   I can see my dreams coming true and it made me so happy and fulfilled.

   The drive to his home is filled with small conversations here and there and I engage excitedly. He's a smart and respectful man. That's something I rarely notice in some men.

   At a point in our conversations, he looks at me with a stern expression. I said something that didn't sound right to him. That's when I realize that I have seen his face somewhere but I can't pinpoint where.

   I wave it off as a random feeling. I am probably overthinking things or experiencing a Deja Vu.

   In twenty minutes, the driver swerves into a large gated estate, lined with trees, creating a shade and blocking out the sun. This place looks like the beautiful houses I used to see in movies and novels. We drive past beautiful mansions and monstrous castle-like buildings and I stare in awe. I had never come to a place as beautiful as this.

   Leela's home is extremely beautiful but the environment is situated in a large area of land, making it impossible to see other neighbors. But Marcel's estate has lots of houses with spacious driveways making it still close enough for neighbors to relate with one another.

   The driver continues driving till we drive into another area. This place is quieter and closer to nature. We are welcomed by the chirping of birds and I close my eyes.

   This is a very beautiful place. Serene and peaceful. From this environment, I am able to tell that Marcel isa man who loves his personal space.

   We stop in front of a wrought iron gate and it beeps loudly before automatically opening on its own accord. The driver zooms in and parks in the large parking space.

   Marcel is the first person to step out of the car. He stretched out his hand and I took it.

   "Welcome to my home," He said as we walked in through the doors of his home. I was first welcomed by the cozy scent of the house. This place looked livable and I knew I was going to enjoy living here.

   Or was beautifully furnished with carved artifacts hanging off the wall. I spent my time looking at the paintings on the wall.

   The next frame my eyes hit was a frame of their company. It struck me hard.

   I remembered this logo vividly. I had seen it on the top floor of the company where I had first applied for a job.

   My blood ran cold.