Chapter 100

JOCELYN'S POV

Not even Julian's moral support is enough to remove the tension and anger in my body. He doesn't know the details of everything I have gone through that my mother ignored, so it's not his fault.

   Julian decided to give us both space by leaving the house. He had a meeting with his friends, so that was valid.

   The cook arranges something according to Julian's instructions. If it was me in control of the kitchen, all I would serve her is water.

   But then, Julian. He's rich as hell and entertaining visitors feel like organizing a gala because why the hell are there so many dishes outside on the table?

   I hear a voice from the front of the house, and leaving the poolside, I find my mother staring up at the horror of the place with awe. She takes off her sunglasses, her mouth agape.

   Huffing, I walk over to where she's standing. She turns to look at me in shock.

   "I am proud of you, Jocelyn," She tries to hug me, but I pull away immediately. "You bagged two of the wealthiest men in less than two months! That's spectacular."

   I am offended by her statement. Who does she think I am? Her? Never.

   I am not a gold digger, and I do not get into affairs with people to suck them dry or take and take and take and take and leave nothing.

   "This way," I say to her in a stern tone. She nods, oblivious to the ton I am using on her. I believe she's ignoring me on purpose.

   She walks before me, noting everything and mentioning what they are. She doesn't forget to guess the estimated price.

   Finally, we stop in front of the table. The maid comes in with the last plate. Lobster.

   "Can you take it back in?" I said to her, "She's allergic to lobsters. Seafood, in general,"

   "Of course not," My mother says with a fake smile. "I have an EpiPen right here with me. No worries,"

   "Take it back in. Thank you." The maid nods and leaves with the tray. I gesture for her to sit, and she does. I go over to the other side of the table, cutting all forms of closeness as I will soon do.

   She beams at me. "I'm so happy. You remember my allergy to seafood,"

   "And you act like a child. Wanting to eat seafood while knowing how allergic you are to it. You nearly died the last time, remember? Do you think this is a joke?"

   She goes quiet immediately. "I'm sorry. I just got caught in the moment."

   "Why are you here?"

   "Can you let me eat first?"

   "It's all yours anyway."

   "You asked the maid to make all these?" She asks with bright eyes.

   "No. Julian did."

   "Tell me. He's your boyfriend, right?"

   "Not yet, at least," I reply as I pick a scone from one of the dishes.

   "Why hasn't he asked you out? Are you both taking it slowly?"

   I look up at her. "I don't think the dynamic of my relationship is any of your business, Mother,"

   She nods and picks a spoon. "You're right. But I want you it remember your family,"

   I cock my head to the side. "What are you talking about?"

   "That's why I am here, Celyn,"

   I stiffen at the nickname she uses. I hate being addressed as Celyn. I fucking hate the sound of it. But I say nothing.

   "Why are you here?"

   She sighed, and her face fell. "We're out of money, honey. We rarely go to restaurants these days. Henry is starting to complain they we stay indoors all the time,"

   "So..? How does that have to do with me,"

   She drops her fork gently by her plate. "You have everything you want, Celyn. The money, this beautiful mansion, a handsome boyfriend. What more could you ask for? All I need is a couple of thousand dollars,"

   I flare. "To fund your extravagant luxury?! You came here for this?! To talk about money?"

   "Celyn. Listen to me—"

   I bang my fist against the table, causing the champagne flutes to vibrate. "No. I will not listen to you. Get that? Where the fuck were you when I had nothing? When all I had was a few dollars to my name? When was I thrown out of my house? When I had to sleep in the streets? Where were you when my life was nothing but a rollercoaster ride?! Where the fuck were you!"

   She stands to her feet. "Calm down. You're raising your voice. He might hear you."

   "He's not in," I say with a smile. "So I can say whatever I want to say, Mother!"

   "Celyn!"

   "For starters," I said with so much grit. "I hate when you call me Celyn. It's repulsive. And I agreed to see you— Julian was ready to ask you not to see me if I didn't want to, but I told him not to worry —is to tell you never to come back to my life. I left a year ago, and it has been peaceful so far. I want it to remain that way, okay? Without you and your abusive husband in my life! So right now, I want you to leave. Leave and never return. Leave with the idea of not having a daughter. Okay?!"

   Her chin trembles, but I know this is all fake. She does it to make me feel terrible, but none of that gets to me. "I know I have not been a good mother to you, but I am ready to make changes."

   "It's already too late, Tema."

   Tears roll down her cheeks as she picks up her purse. I know she was doing all this to get to me. I know her already—fake ass woman.

   As soon as she leaves, I fall back into my seat, beginning to sob heavily. It isn't supposed to hurt this way. I am supposed to feel relief. Why do I feel a tight squeeze in my chest?

   I feel a hand on the small of my back, and just as I am about to yell, I see it is Julian.

   "I'm here," He says softly and slides beside me. Pulling me into his arms, he plants a kiss on my head.

   "I feel terrible, Julian. I feel terrible."

   "I know. It's okay to feel that way. It'll pass."