Chapter 59

JOCELYN'S POV

At this point, I don't think any amount of harshness can get to me.

From the way she sways her hip to the way she greets others with a cheery attitude to the way she talks to me, I know she's trying to send a message.

A message that is really clear.

She wants me to know that she's better than I am. But I do not care, honestly. I just want her to show me around and if she ever talks to me harshly, I will fucking talk back at her and warn her to rein her bad character for whenever she's with someone who can take it because I can't.

We walk past doors with embossment on them, telling whom and whom the office belonged to and their ranks.

   "What floor is this?" I ask out of the blue.  Since she isn't going to explain to me, I can as well ask.

   She turns to look at me. "Yes?"

   I sigh. "I'm asking what floor this is."

   "Oh," She says and turns to look around like she's giving me a tour around my house. If she thinks this is funny, I don't think it is but I know I have to exercise a bit of patience. "This floor is for the executives. Though you won't be staying here. You'd be at the administrative department, floors down from here,"

   I scoff, knowing her intent. She's trying to subtly mock me and remind me that no matter what connection I have to the CEO, I would always remain below them all.

   This is fucking childish. But then, I have to rein in my anger.

   I nod. "I figured."

   "Then why did you ask?"

   "Because you aren't doing your job," I reply calmly.

   She stops walking and turns to look at me with a raise of her perfectly carved brows. I am sure that she woke up as early as three to look this peng. "What did you say?"

   I place both hands on my hip. This was a stance I took whenever I want to pass an information across. I am not afraid of her. 

   "Can we continue?"

   She gives me a hard look before turning and walking faster than usual, like she's not showing someone around. But then, that's not a problem because as soon as we get down from the elevator, I begin to walk in abother direction, shoulders squared with confidence.

   I think I can give myself a tour and ask around or directions. I never needed her anyway.

    I am on the administrative floor because I can see tags on office doors. This floor is a stark difference from the upper floor. The offices are enclosed in squared glass cases with a floor to ceiling window overlooking a city so it feels like you're in a glass block. I think I like this place better.

   I am walking around and noticing that people are occasionally glancing at me with rasied brows in curiosity but this somehow fuels my confidence.

   Knowing that I will be the their manager tomorrow, I have to make a statement.

   As I walk through the narrow corridor that leads to another part of the floor, I sight a lady walking towards me and a frown is immediately etched on my face.

   No fucking way.

   She's a black woman!

   My emotions are a mixture of joy and surprise as I hadn't expected to see a black woman working here.

   As she walks towards me, I can't help but admire her grace and confidence. She has the charisma of a model and she's really tall and slender. Her hair is barbed in a low cut and dyed in platinum cold, a beautiful contrast against her ebony skin.

   I feel my heart swell as soon as I see her and I am suddenly excited.

   I think she shares the same excitement because as soon as she sees me, she stops with eyes wide and a hand clamps over her mouth.

   "Hi!" She greets. Her voice was heart and with the sinuous movement of her arms, she engulfs me in a bone crushing hug. All the air leave my lungs but I was also happy and didn't mind.

   When she pulls away, she stares at me for a long time like she doesn't believe she is seeing her fellow black woman here.

   "How?" That was the first question that leaves her mouth and honestly, it's the same thing on my head.

   "I should be asking you the same,"

   She grabs my hands and leads me down the corridor and pushes open a door that leads into an office. It looks so small and it's not as nice looking as the other offices. I just hope this isn't her office. 

   "How did you get a job here?"

   "If you tell me how you did before me, I'd really appreciate," I say with a smile etched on my lips. I have never felt so at home in one place.

   "It was my luck. I didn't know I was going to get the job because they kept giving the others bigger roles. Well, I was in my room one day and I got a call to start working immediately. I mean, I am the most junior staff here even if I have the same qualification as them all, even better. But at least, I get to get a job,"

   My heart goes out to her and I look around. "Is this your office?"

   She nods. I suddenly feel a wave of anger rush through me. Why does everyone get the best office and she this place? This should be a storage room.

   I look at her and she nods before I even ask her the questions. I sigh and shake my head.

   "Well, tell me. How did you get this job?"

   "Luck. Just like you. I was rejected the first day I came for an interview even after Marcus— Mr Reynolds told me I was fully qualified. He said I was a black woman and that was how everything ended,"

   "That's terrible,"

   "Maybe terrible things have to happen before the best comes," I say and shrug. "Somehow, we met on very weird circumstances and he wants me to be the manager of the administrative department."

   Her eyes widens like saucers. "No way."